Mounting LU1014D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When building ZV9 there is a problem: mounting the Power J-FET's
on the heatsink. I have an idea that I would like to share with you. I solder the fets to a copper plate with a hot air gun. Then I throw it in to water allowing it to cool immediately. Then I screw it to the heatsink, with mica insulator. I don't know whether it's working or not but it seems the fet survived the process. I'm waiting for your opinions. Here is a pic:
(More pics and comments soon.)

Attachments

• lu1014d.jpg
    lu1014d.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,200
Gyuri said:
Netlist, thanks for the reply.
You are right but what about the maximum allowed heat stress ?
(It's 260 °C, over 10 sec.)

Gyuri

Well, maybe putting it in a shallow water with just the copper partly immersed would help. BTW, a thinner & smaller piece of copper would also do the job nicely and would be easier to adapt to your purposes.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’d go for the smallest possible copper plate, still allowing you to drill holes for mounting.
Then, tinning that plate and solder the component when the copper is still hot will probably take less then 10 seconds with a good iron. I admit I did not try it but should.

/Hugo

Netlist was right. Throwing into water is a medieval method. Don't try it ! (Unless you want to see inside the fet.) The fast temperature change will destroy the fet mechanically. Despite this
the idea is good only cooling method was wrong. Next try I put the copper plate with the fet on a wet cloth. It was good.
Gyuri

Thanks for the responce but I was asking about mounting the jfet without soldering
it. Like Nelson posted that he mounts his directly to the heatsink with just thermal
compound relying on the insulating properties of the anodized heatsink. But how does he
hold it on the heatsink?

A little bit forgot the ZV9, because of F4.
But I picked it out now. The thing works very well, but i'm must finished it.
Do pictures interest somebody possibly?

Img00250001.JPG

To avoid misunderstandings not with the weller, but I soldered it with the method written down earlier, avoiding the sudden refrigeration.

Gyuri

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.