No XA's in USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just some humor for Nelson, I am forced now for sure to build an XA100 based on the schematics on this thread since I called Peter at Pass Labs to find a dealer. He told me that "good luck" finding a dealer who had an XA200 for audition. Turns out most get sold to Asian audiophilies. I am going to Korea in a week on business and I have to find a dealer in Seoul so I can listen to these amps. I live in NJ.

Nelson demands a lot from his customers when they have to travel half way around the world to listen to his creations.

Perhaps he should have factory tours! In this way we can buy an el-pipo directly from the factory and haul it home. Just kidding, I am always thankfull for the help and guidance that this thread offers. I have already built the Aleph 1.2's and Pass -Tharagard A-75 and they have proved bullet proof. The A-75 has seen continuous use since 1994. Also, The local metal shop loves NP design's. dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The state of US retail is such that very few 2 channel dealers can
afford to put such expensive product on the floor, and of those,
still fewer will do so. Not much I can do to change the landscape.

In any case we demand nothing from customers. We make the
product. If a reviewer wants to hear it, a dealer wants to sell
it, or a customer information or wants to buy it, we try to
accomodate them, but our marketing and sales effort is not very
aggressive. Our ads are small and we don't chase reviews or
dealers.

This is pretty much how we've done it for 30 years - we're a small
boat and stay close to the shore.

:cool:

addendum - I am informed that I have 3 US dealers with big XA's
on the floor, they just aren't in NJ

XA's in asia

I have heard to my ears in my home nothing better than the NP designs, I look forward to being able to hear the XA design since I will need four channels to bi-amp my speakers. I was just kidding a bit on this comment. I read somewhere perhaps harvard business review that audiophiles only make up 3% of the total marketplace for stereo electronics (this does not count diy which is infintessimal). The number is not large and with all the competition chasing this percentage you really have to be good at what you do if you are in this business. I congratulate NP on his success and his support of diy. Now back to V=IR. dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The failure of the retailers to support 2 channel high end is
unfortunate, mostly for them (IMHO). These customers have
not gone away, but they are getting their fix through other
means, and DIY is a beneficiary.

Having said that, I know a number of 2 channel manufacturers
and dealers who are doing quite well (all of them little guys),
and I am happy to count myself among them.

:cool:

(PS, I know you were kidding)

daly2k said:

Nelson demands a lot from his customers when they have to travel half way around the world to listen to his creations.

Perhaps he should have factory tours!

Its well worth it.

I count myself as one of the few sole's on the face of the earth to enjoy what can only be regarded as a rare privilege of visiting my friends at Passlabs while on holiday in the U.S.A.

Ian

Attachments

• passlabscrewforesthill.jpg
    passlabscrewforesthill.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 677
daly2k said:
I am going to Korea in a week on business and I have to find a dealer in Seoul so I can listen to these amps. I live in NJ.

Korea or Bergen County? Did you know that there are over 33,000 Korean language speakers in NJ, and almost all are clustered up near the GWB. Got to know many through the Jesuit College connection. Very vibrant community up there.

When I was an airplane seat tester for an investment bank I used to do that route several times a year -- always managed to stay over a weekend in Tokyo just to spend the day in the Akhibara --

no xa in usa

jackinnj, it is a small world today, I intend to read the book the world is flat-a book regarding the shrinking borders. I got a name from Pass labs of a dealer in Seou (the persons name is Freddie) and if I have some time away from work during my trip and if I can find the place I will go see what an XA200 really looks like. dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.