Apogee Scintilla amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I owned a pair of Apogee Scintillas before getting the Full Range. The Scintillas sound much better using the 1 ohm connection instead of the 4 ohm connection strap option. You lose dynamics with the 4 ohm arrangement. I had a pair of Krell KMA100 monoblocks that produced a warm yet powerful soundstage. The KMA100s were one of the best amps I have owned. You still may be able to find used KMA100s.

If you want to DIY, you could build the KSA100 that is well documented on diyAudio. If you only plan to drive a 1 ohm load, I would recommend using a lower output supply voltage say 16V - 20V. You want high current with a save operating range on the bipolar outputs.

1 Ohm @ only ....

I owned a pair of Apogee Scintillas .....If you only plan to drive a 1 ohm load, ....

Yes I have them too but they're still orig. packaged from the first buyer I buy them from, waiting for the power amps to drive them... I also have a 4 pcs. 1,2 KW toroid transformers with 34V 0 34V secondaries waiting to be used. I read a lot of various reviews and there are only a few amps to drive them as they should be driven. I know it is an illusion but maybe one day will happen the Holy-Grail from Papa to us with its X (SicCarbide) version with enough op. trs. to make us heaven here on the earth...... will pray daily .... :magnet:

C. B.

Sometimes I wonder if people don't think this is Do-it-for-Me rather than Do-it-Yourself.
Take an F4 or a BA2 with well matched outputs, and lots of Heat Sink, lower the Source resistors in the outputs and raise the bias to 25-30Watts/device.
That should get you started. If you want the SS SiC JFETs in the output, you will have to go even further. On the order of 2 times more medi-evil. I guess you could build a BA1 with all 6 pair in the output and high bias?

All you need are enough output transistors in parallel to be able to deliver the current required to drive the low impedance load. The trick would be keeping it in class A as this would require a lot of standing current. This isn't specifically a problem if you do not need much voltage swing and can use a low absolute number of 8 ohm watts.

Even if you are using 25-35 volt rails you will still need a lot of heat sinks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.