diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Zv9 as preamp? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/83462-zv9-preamp.html)

Onvinyl 20th July 2006 12:02 PM

Zv9 as preamp?

Hi,
Even though it seems I won't find time to try:

Shouldn't the Zen v. 9 make a nice preamp when substituting the power-fet with a famous 2sk170 and readjusting the currents & voltages?

Signalwise, it would be a purist SE-approach, and even the output-cap wouldn't hurt that much since it's inside the fb-loop.

The potential issue I can see is limited output current/highish output impedance.

I might have been tried by someone, cause it seems so obvious, doesn't it?
Rüidger

Nelson Pass 20th July 2006 06:34 PM

Interestingly, I have played with this, and I found that cascoded
JFETs in a diff pair arrangement somewhat like the BOSOZ was
superior to a single JFET sonically, much as BOSOZ was better
liked than the BOZ.

steenoe 20th July 2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Interestingly, I have played with this, and I found that cascoded
The quote thing wont let me quote the whole thing:o This is pretty interesting, any chance to see a new Zen preamp with J-fets?? I would love to build a thing like that:)

Steen:cool:

Nelson Pass 20th July 2006 07:03 PM

I think we could do that.

Zen Mod 20th July 2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nelson Pass

why I'm not surprised?
:devilr:

steenoe 20th July 2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Wow, thats great. Cant wait to see it:cool: Thanks a lot for responding:cool:
A new chapter in the Zen preamp history, who would have thought that? I was afraid that the statement "this pretty much finishes the preamp offerings in the Zen series" was gonna hold!!
Thanks a lot for reconsidering!

Steen:) (quite happy:D )

Zen Mod 20th July 2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by steenoe
Wow, thats great. Cant wait to see it:cool: Thanks a lot for responding:cool:
A new chapter in the Zen preamp history, who would have thought that? I was afraid that the statement "this pretty much finishes the preamp offerings in the Zen series" was gonna hold!!
Thanks a lot for reconsidering!

Steen:) (quite happy:D )

I don't wanna be rude-but why not susy then?

susy or blowtorch or whatever-they seems all are along the pretty similar line (except susy approach :devilr: )

just for illustration-thinking of little ZM about these ideas......nothing new under the sun.....from other deviant thread ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1151491647

btw-I like boundaries and tasks stated from Papa....
he sometimes show almost psychotic urge to please the children

steenoe 20th July 2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

I don't wanna be rude-but why not susy then?
Choky, a little of your own medicine :D Anyone said it wouldnt be a susy?? Anyone said anything at all?? I am sure that Mr. Pass wont let us down. If we really gets a successor to the BoZ or BosoZ, I am sure it will be better than those:cool:

Steen:) (confident;) )

Zen Mod 20th July 2006 07:45 PM

I like twisted confirmations from Papa,sometimes even more twisted than I understand,but why he must do everything?
I mean -he does it already ....?

steenoe 20th July 2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

I like twisted confirmations from Papa,sometimes even more twisted than I understand,but why he must do everything?
Hey thats easy to understand:) This is the Pass forum!! Loads of us guys around here knows Mr. Pass from the past!! Personally I know his amps way back from the late 70'es:D
Allways, allways was Mr. Pass's amp's superior! I have listened to loads of amp's, but the best are Pass's amps! I heard the Treshold A400 and 4000's and they were the greatest at their time!
Mr. Pass is "God" on this forum:cool: Just in case you missed it:D

Steen:cool: