My Aleph 5 isn't working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I have made a testing PCB for my Aleph 5. I have completed the soldering and connected the wires.

The problem is, that when I increase the input signal, it starts clicking in the 6.5Ohm speaker. Control LED also starts to blink and PSU drops from +/-31V to +/-27V. It's almost like it would go into clipping.

I have 31V-0V-31V PSU with 2x47000uF/elco and 4.7uF/bipolar.
When the load is 8Ohm speaker the critical point is a bit higher, but when the load is 8Ohm 2-way speaker it's a bit lower.

It looks like it would start short-circuiting.

Does anyone have any measurments that are critical and I could made them as well?

best regards,
DJG

Diconnect your speaker. Check your DC ofsett at he output. It should be a few miilivolts. Then go to your shematic and check to see if you have the proper voltage drops. Both of the problems I had with my Aleph 5 were from blown up transistors Q1,Q2, or Q5.

Hi,

You don't have to have 4-5 volts across that resistor! The Collector-Emitter voltage has of Q4 has to be 4-5V. If you take a closer look, you will see, that the voltage must be .5V. And that is fair for 0.5 amps/mosfet pair. Take a look at the upper mosfet's source resistor's voltage. If it is the same low value, then maybe the current source is not working correctly.

Try looking at the transistor's base-emitter voltage. It has to be close to 0.6V.

Regards,
Miki.

Ps. I don't have experience with Aleph5, so maybe I am wrong..... :)

Junior,
I just wanted to let you know that your posts stick out as being out of contest, long, and waaaayyyy to numerous. You succeded in getting my attention. And I have the distictive feeling I met you before on this forum under another member name. You are annoying me in exactly the same way. :D
Oh, and copying picture I post to your avatar is cheesy.

Hi DJG,

look at the transistors (BC-s) if they are connected correctly (I mean the pinout of the transistor can differ from the ZTX). If it is ok, then recheck the resistors in the current source, and the mosfet's source resistor to which you connected the emiter and base of the upper tranny.

Another thing can cause a similar problem: didn't you connected ALL of the source resistor in paralell??? On the scematic is only specified X3 (or anything...), and may happen, that you connected the transistor's base and emitter to ALL of the source resistors...

Good luck & regards,
Miki.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.