A baby giant is borne...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At last - after a lot of hassel we connected the Aleph 1.2 and fired it up. It is not finished. Actually, we only tested it up to 25 volts. The resistors (25 w 0,3 ohms) seemed very varm so we didn't dare up the voltage. But anyhow - we connected the amp - as of now occupying the whole living room - to a set of cheap speakers and flipped the switched. (Had checked for DC (0v) and 10k input). Music for all to hear!!! It is still a long way to the end, but at least the amp does play music. To early to say anything about the sound as I only have one amp running just over 1/3 of the rated voltage. The bass was deep, but it seem all a bit forward. Shouldn't even think about the sound yet!!

Still remains the issue of harnesing the voltage and keeping it below 60 volts. (see my other thread).

Good night and good luck to all - I'm one happy guy :D

Inspiration

Folkeb,
You are my inspiration. Its time for me to get off my butt and return to building my amp. In this day and age of Xs, XAs, Aleph Xs, ZENV9s.... its nice to know that there are still some out that that hold on to the original Alephs!

I am so glad that you have solved your other issues quickly. Have you done the calculations to determine the correct wattage for the resistor? As I also have the similar 25watt 0.39ohm Arcol resistors for my CRC filter.

Thank you for your kind words. I have just tested the Aleph with 59 volts on the rails and 229 on the variac. This was with one 0,3 ohm resistor in the system. So I am getting close. I hope that one more in series will do the trick.

The sound:

It is not easy to evaluate the sound from one channel, but I will try. The bass went a lot deeper and was at the same time slightly more punchy as well as a lot more detailed than my Electrocompaniet 250R power amp. The midrange seemed very nice indeed and the top end I can't realy say anything about. Stereo was obviously not too good... It seemed to be a lot more rythm to the music.

After about 30 minutes playing the heatsinks were warm, but not hot as I expected. Maybe they need longer to heat up, or I have bought over the top heatsinks (maybe a combination of both). Anyhow, this is good as it enables me to place the amps out of harms way and eyesight (not mine...)! I have even bought 12 fans as precaution, no need for them anymore!!

The other problems will be solved, of this I am sure. It may take some time . I'll write more on this in the more techy thread I have going.

...i was thinking those heat sinks don't look big enough! :)

if they stay reasonable after one hour of warmup you should be ok!

(reasons i stayed away from Aleph 1.2)

- way too many holes to tap for FETS!

- way too many FETS to match!

:)

good job folkeb!

I guess it will take me about another month at the most. I have a long awaited holiday that starts on sunday, so there will be a slight pause fof two weeks. Hopefully the week after that!

My setup consists of the following:

Signal:
DDDAC MK2 with BG N capacitors and battery as PSU.
Modified shanling cdt-100. This is about to be modified again I hope.

Pre amp:
Minimax tube preamp
Partly done Aleph P (also one channel working and I am waiting for my matched IRF610s)

Power amp:
Electrocompaniet 250R

Speakers:
Dynabel Euforia (Norwegian made: 2,5 way with two Seas Excel(midtone/bass) and Scan speak relevator (treble). The XO is made with top of the line components.

Cables:
Synergistic research phase 2 X2 all the way. 1 x kaleidoscope, 2x looking glass and signature ten speaker cable. All with functioning LEDs - he he

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.