Best place for a newbie to jump in?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I am just getting started on my first speaker project (a P.Audio coaxial) and need to build an amp for the high frequency driver (already have a nice old Perreaux PMF2150B for the bass).

I think the driver is 100dB plus efficient, so I don't need much juice, will be using a cheapie Pyle active crossover unit to control signals to each.

So... I have zero electronics experience but need to start somewhere. What would you recommend as the best way to get started without setting myself up for too much frustration or failure potential. I just want to be able to get through the first project so I will have more confidence to tackle bigger and better things in the future (and of course my wife needs to see that I can do this without "F"ing it up, otherwise she becomes much less supportive of my DIY budget for parts and stuff...

Speaker will be used for instrument practice, home studio work, and background music while working on other stuff. Just need something nice and clean, not worried about the last word in audiophile paranoia. Have been lurking here on and off for a few years, like what I see so I thought I would start here and stay here for diy amps.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Greg

Greggo, for an amp for the tweeter end , I would go for a ZenV9!!
The ZenV9 is simply just sweet sounding as long as it doesnt have to drive a hungry bass-unit:) There is little doubt that the ZenV9 is the best amp for your purpose;) If you are lucky enough you could grab a pcb for it in the ZenV9 pcb thread:D
Dont hesitate to shoot more Questions;)

Steen:cool:

Guys, thanks for the replies. I looked at PassLabsDIY at the store shelves are bare, I am about half way through the V9 thread and have two crucial questions:

Since I don't yet know how to read schematics and need extra help, am I better off looking for help in stepping through the article on the orginal Zen or tracking the new v9 and hoping that there is enough photo/explanation that I can figure out how to keep up?

Does anyone specialize in selling parts/boards/directions for Pass creations or do I need to start at the beginning and learn a bit about electronics before I attempt to assemble an amp?

edit: just finished going through the v9 thread, looks like I missed the boat. Still trying to figure out who sells what around here and what I will need to do to put together a basic plan that will work for me. Any more help on best ways to get started would be much appreciated. I don't mind going through tons of threads, but most around here seem to be geared towards readers at a much higher level than myself. Would I be better off looking for a full blown kit?

Thanks,

Greg

Greggo, I suggest you take my approach:) On a seriuos note, you "could" start out building the ZenV1!! Why anyone would want to do that, excludes my mind:D The ZenV9 is just as easy to build as the ZenV1, so I dont really get the point, building something else.......?? Since the ZenV9 is a proven killer in the highend department, you have your answer!!! Please send me an email. if you want more info:)

Steen:cool:

I'm planning on building a ZV9 (or, perhaps, two) for midrange and treble duty, currently awaiting my PCBs. I anticipate it being a wonderful way to go, but there are some obstacles besides electronic knowledge. Mainly that the Zen series put out quite a bit of heat and getting suitable heatsinks can be a problem. Perhaps one of the earlier Zen amps is less demanding in this regard?

A chip amp is probably the most convenient option. Another super convenient option would be a Charlize (http://www.diyparadise.com/charlize.html) or UcD based amp ( http://www.hypex.nl/). These two are 'class D' amps, which may or may not be a problem for you. Some claim they are not well suited to reproducing treble well.

Though I love them, I would recommend against a tube amp as they involve rather high voltages (like 300 volts or more - you had better know what you're doing! :bigeyes: ).

Should you wish to go the ZV9 route, hopefully there will be enough interest to warrant another PCB sale. If not, it may not be too difficult to do point-to-point wiring or to get PC boards made for yourself.

Good luck!

Paul

......as long as it doesnt have to drive a hungry bass unit ......

there are roumors on the www.
that First Watt releases the F4 monos (40 Watt)
in the near future !!

Thanks a million Mr. Pass !

hope the F4 is sold out as fast as can be ,
that we can see the schematic !

Greetings from Germany

Jürgen

Suggestions for books, supplies, web sites, etc...

Thank you all for the replies thus far, and Mr Pass I am certainly giving serious thought to your suggestion even though the rest of the gang seems quite excited by more recent designs.

Do any of you have any recommendations concerning any web sites more geared for begginers like myself, or any books to grab, or even the most basic recommendations for supplies (I don't even have a sodering iron yet...). I have been searching around here and there but have not yet come up with a good set of options besides reading through the articles on the Pass Labs DIY site and then continuing to look for the one book on basic electronics that I have burried somewhere in my house (I just moved a few months ago and still can't find half my stuff).

Thanks again, and greetings from Asheville, North Carolina, my new stomping grounds.

Greg

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Suggestions for books, supplies, web sites, etc...

Greggo said:

. . . any recommendations . . .

Nelson Pass is an elementary school teacher.
He likes teaching children because his knowledge is perfect for it.
Choky is a naughty child and calls Nelson, PaPa! he he . . .
Nevertheless, Nelson is a worldwide amp designer.

Understanding very basic physics is most important.
Understanding each component is second important.
Understanding each circuit is third important.

I am also trying to understand them, reading some books
and examples:

- Physics
- Electronic Principles (Malvino)
- Electronic Devices (Thomas L. Floyd)
- The art of Electronics (Paul Horowitz/Winfield Hill)
- All Pass DIY Projects (Pity!! all Pass Labs Projects Gone . . . )
- And whatever

Regards

---
Choky is having a long sleep to refill his lack of sleeping. :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.