A few Aleph 5 questions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2006, 02:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A few Aleph 5 questions...

Hello, after assembling the major part of my Aleph5 on BrianGT's boards, I still have some (newbie as usual) questions on my mind:

First of all, for the PSU I'm considering to buy one of the top transformers from Schuro.de with an output rating of 800VA - unfortunately, the lowest output voltage they have to offer for this VA class is 2x35V AC. Will I run into problems with this high voltage (original schematics ask for 34V DC, which may equal 28V AC), or is it just a thing of a few more watts of heat output (which I'm not too scared of, since this baby is gonna be watercooled using a car radiator plus the dual 25cm fans that came with it, sitting in the next room/garage), or will this push any components to their limits?

Also, I would originally have been considering some 40V rated electrolytics for the PSU filtering, since they are rather inexpensive at Schuro.de as well (47mF BC/Philips caps for 11 a piece), but with such a high secondary voltage, I would very much be asking for disaster, wouldn't I? How tolerant of voltages around and slightly above their rated voltage are electrolytics in general?

Then I have a question regarding the mosfets. I've already matched those IRF9610/SFP9610s to 10mV, and I soldered them in. Now I have a bad feeling concerning the actual soldering process, as I fear I might have run them too hot. Is there any simple way to test their functionality while they are installed to the circuit? Excuse me, this is probably a very simple and wellknown thing, I just couldn't find the answer anywhere.

And another one regarding the 1-Ohm Resistors sitting next to the output Mosfets' - I got some 2W rated Metalfilms left, but I think this power rating might be a bit conservative - what is your experience one the power requirements of those?

Best regards and thanks a lot!

Christian
Old 5th July 2006, 05:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Oh, and another question I have had on my mind for a long time:

How much sense does it make to add smaller bypass capacitors to the large smoothing capacitors in the PSU? I mean, it would probably be an improvement to use only expensive Slitfoils or T-Net capacitors, but would it make sense to add only one of those $$$-devices to a less expensive array of decent quality electrolytics?

Thanks again,

Christian
Old 5th July 2006, 06:28 PM   #3
The one and only

The transistors will work, or they won't. Don't worry about
it until they don't work. It's easy enough to add more
capacitance of various sorts in parallel, and at worst it is not
likely to degrade the sound.
Old 6th July 2006, 02:17 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Default Re: A few Aleph 5 questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by PolishedSteel

And another one regarding the 1-Ohm Resistors sitting next to the output Mosfets' - I got some 2W rated Metalfilms left . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by PolishedSteel

How much sense does it make to add smaller bypass capacitors to the large smoothing capacitors in the PSU?
I have never built this amp.
Nevertheless, the original circuit seems to apply the Q bias of 0.5A per MOSFET so that the minimum power rating of the source resistor is to be of 0.5A*0.5A*1ohm = 0.25W. Even if the bias is doubled, the minimum power rating would not go up more than 1*1*1 = 1W. The 2W rating is considered useful. If it burns off, just replace them with higher rating. It is not too late.

I think that there are too many mis-leading information about the effect of the bypass caps. Yeah . . . the bypass caps would be not harmful, at least . . .
Old 6th July 2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Gooch is offline Gooch  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Christian

Please post some pictures when youre done with your amp. I just received my PCB's from Brian last week I am putting to together a parts list. It seem the hardest part is going to be getting the right heat sinks.

Regards

Dave
Old 6th July 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, I can of course take some pictures... But it's going to take me a while until I'm done, my monthly budget for the amp is about 100, so I hope I'll have it finished before my new attempt at university starts (October). I'll attach a picture of what I've got so far (god it's hard to take close-up photos with that camera - even at makro setting it's blurry and the flash draws huge shadows).
Now unfortunately I may not be able to help with heatsink selections, as I'm going for water cooling. The "heatsinks" I've ordered are just plain aluminium blocks (220x80x30mm body and 220x80x6mm lid for each heatsink, two in total), and I will simply (I hope that's what you call it in english) carve some cooling channels into them for the water to flow through.

Click the image to open in full size.

Christian
Old 6th July 2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Gooch is offline Gooch  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice start Christian I think I am going to order heat-sinks from Conrad and get 4 of the biggest ones they make and mount 3 devices to each heat-sink. Water cooled sounds neat can't wait to see the results of how that going to work.

Good luck keep us posted

Regards'

Dave
Old 6th July 2006, 05:34 PM   #8
traw is offline traw  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like a good place to ask my question about the aleph 5, within the scope of the thread...

Is using a 300VA dual 24VAC secondaries per channel enough to handle aleph5?... Have three of them, imagine could just parallel all of them up, but would be easier to dual mono it.
Old 6th July 2006, 07:45 PM   #9
The one and only

300 VA is just enough to do one channel.
Old 8th July 2006, 07:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Christian,

please ask Schuro if nowadays their transformers are also suited for class A amps. Ive bought two of their 600VAs for my Aleph 5 wich had very bad mechanical hum.

William

Hide this!Advertise here!