What's the better option and how (Balanced in/outputs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of building Scott Dixon's DacKit and I am also on the list to get the Aleph X boards. The problem is that the Dackit does not have balanced outputs. So what is the best/easiest way to get these guys connected? Do I convert the inputs on the AX to unblanced or convert the out's on the Dackit to balanced? Or is there an adapter I can purchase to do this for me.

Thanks...Lee

Better to add single-ended to balanced at the transmitter side, and reap all the benefits of balanced interconnects. (no ground loops, reduce interference)

Favored tool: BJT long tailed pair. Or opamps, tubes, etc. Sound.au.com has opamp converters, or the the LTP tube circuit on my site could be a starting point.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Found this circut...

king30 said:
My assumption would be that I would pull the signal off of the RCA Output on the Dac and move it over to the "+In" on the circuit below. I would then need two of these for the left and right signals.

Also any suggestions for better Opamps?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

King, you DO realise that the Gnd of the output CANNOT be connected to the input Gnd, right?

Jan Didden

Just wanted to check if I have this right. Here is the schematic a took from the other thread.

attachment.php

Here is my representation of how I would convert the output (top) of the DAC to balanced (bottom). Please let me know if you find any errors. Also suggestions for free websites that let you link directly to images would be great.

http://www.geocities.com/lee_king_99

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
king30 said:
Just wanted to check if I have this right. Here is the schematic a took from the other thread.

attachment.php

Here is my representation of how I would convert the output (top) of the DAC to balanced (bottom). Please let me know if you find any errors. Also suggestions for free websites that let you link directly to images would be great.

http://www.geocities.com/lee_king_99

There are (literally) two ways to look to this:
- from the input of the aleph it sees a balanced source as far as source impedance balancing is concerned. that is good;
- from the conversion circuit it is really just an unbalanced signal to pin 2 of the xlr. The other hot pin, pin 3, has a zero signal only.

This circuit is IMO OK for interfacing the CD player to the aleph, but it does not give the advantages of fully balanced interconnection. But then again, if your cabling to the aleph is not too long, it probably wouldn't make a difference anyway. I would say, try it.

The opamp can be any good one as advertised on this forum. You probably don't need any gain, the CD player will output at least 2V RMS. Where is your vol control? I don't know the aleph, being a Pass product it may need more input voltage and then the opamp can give the extra gain (gain = (Rfeedback/Rtoground)+1)

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.