Zen4 power supplie!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is wat I'm going to use:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The inductors are 1,4mm if I'm not mistaken.

I'm switching over to a tube hybrid designed by Kristjian.
I'll be updating my Zen website I made today.
Kristjian's website could be a good source for some extra information, but most of the info is on www.passdiy.com

Arold,
The caps you are talking about are called snubber caps. They "buffer" sharp current swings going through the bridge rectifier, like when you turn the amp on. They also provide some quieting to the rectifiers which can be noisy. IMO, they are optional when dealing with amps less 50 watts as there are smaller swings and less filter capacitance. You can save a few bucks and just use the 1uF mylar caps shown in Tazzy's diagram. Many people say that you get more high freq detail when you use multiple electrolytic caps (4 or more) in a "bank" for filter capacitance. I do heartily recommend a poly or mylar 1uf cap after the electrolytics (also shown in the diagram). This will smooth out the sound of your amp. Especially if you use lower quality electrolytics for your filtering.

The cap doesn't have to be AC rated just high enough DC rated. The rule of thumb passed around here on the forum has been at least twice the voltage it will see, ie 120VAC choose a 250VDC rated cap or higher. Most people use 400VDC or 600VDC before the primaries and 250VDC after. Try to keep it in reason as this keeps your cost down and saves valuable space.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.