Cheap case with lots of cooling ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2006, 10:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Cheap case with lots of cooling ...

Finally, someting really interesting and worthwhile coming from the PC industry for DIY Audio guys.

http://img.presence-pc.com/news/z/a/...reserator2.jpg

Zalman have shown a new product at a Computex these days. It is called Reserator 2 and looks lik a killer. Imagine stuffing some FET's in there, and stacking then nect to one another - perhaps 1 per channel.

We don't know the prices yet, but I do like what I see. Reserator 1 units are not that expensive so if it is in the same ballpark, we are OK. Dare I say gainclones, Zen's or X units?

I can't wait - cabinets with good finish is a problem for DIY'ers like myself.

Petter
Old 9th June 2006, 11:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
Yeah, the Reserator's a nice product...but where exactly do you hope to cram everything? It's just a giant radiator for a water-cooling setup...still, I'm interested in seeing what you have in mind
Old 9th June 2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Boy, I'm interested. I assume its function is a resovoir/radiator for water cooled computers. So it could be used to cool a separate chassis also if you make a water block, right?

It does seem that at least the power supply would have to be separate from this case, if you tried to put all the components in the resovoir are (empty of course
Old 10th June 2006, 12:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
IIRC, the Reserator was Zalman's kit offering for water-cooling, which a lot of computer geeks are intrigued by, but is generally too complicated/confusing and dangerous when they have to buy all the parts separately.

Therefore, finding a Reserator should also include the original piping, water block(s) and possibly cooling liquids.

Who knows, maybe I'm completely off here
Old 10th June 2006, 12:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

There is, of course, a catch. All that liquid cooling does is move the heat from one place to another. If you don't want to blow a fan on your reserator, you'll need just a bit more heat sink area than you would if the amp was made in the conventional passive heat sink way.

If you dig up Gray's original water cooled aleph thread, you'll see that the real bonus for water cooling is that it allows moving the heat outside the listening room, where a fan can be used to increase the efficiency of the radiator without detracting from the listening experience.
Old 10th June 2006, 12:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Editor

Well, the advantages are as Petter says, it looks pretty cool, and I can see it has pretty big heatsinks, so as a chassis it should work well for a smaller class A amp. I think he was planning to attach the components directly to the heat sinks and not fill it with water.

I just think the water cooling just gives you another option. The grey thread tells you how to make a simple cheap waterblock.

If you are moving stuff outside of the listening room, why not just put the power amp in the adjacent room and run the wires through small holes in the wall? Why not? because people want to look at their power amp, and show it off, which gets us back to Pettas original comments...

I don't know if it will be what I would call cheap, the resorator one is $230 at Newegg, I suspect that this model will be over $300

does look cool......
Old 10th June 2006, 02:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My intention was to use case as is without water, or take the heatsinks off for other duty. With SMPS you can have a slim power supply which fits inside. Transistors don't take up a lot of space and it looks like the heatsinks are detachable so that it is easier to make somehing that fits, or even space them out.

Then again the price is what we need to know.

Petter
Old 10th June 2006, 05:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Editor

The is also a decent amount of space in the "towers" for small circuit boards. Wires could be run from there to output devices on the heatsinks. I agree it has potential, and the heatsinks are really quite large. It even has an on off switch and power cord. I think we agree the price will tell...

Hide this!Advertise here!