pass x250.5 a little defect...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In an italian revew of this amplifier the reviewer said "I found on it a little defect common on many american hi-power amplfier, the 99% of it, when the volume increase very much the size of the instruments become bigger" Any one would like to explain to me this phenomenon?
Thank You all!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
kyrochan said:
In an italian revew of this amplifier the reviewer said "I found on it a little defect common on many american hi-power amplfier, the 99% of it, when the volume increase very much the size of the instruments become bigger" Any one would like to explain to me this phenomenon?
Thank You all!

phenomenon known as "short circuit between reviewer's ears"
:devilr:

All you guys are too quick to condem.
Take two identical amps except one has little damping factor, the one with good damping factor will sound better driven harder than the one with bad damping factor.
The one with bad damping factor will sound better at lower volume though because it fleshes out the bass at that low volume, where as the one with good damping factor may sound lean an enemic at low level.
Think a little before condeming.

Cheers George

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An amplifier whose output impedance various much with level
has a real issue - crossover distortion typically, and of course
an amp with crossover distortion will sound better at higher
volume. This does not describe an X250.5 which idles at
250 watts.

Maybe you would be interested in my new line of Fletcher-Munson compensators? One of these in series with speakers will not only decrease the damping factor but reduce those nasty Watts as well.

Seriouosly George, you do raise an interesting point as to how the reviewer misinterpreted his ears...

Attachments

• resistors-photo.jpg
    resistors-photo.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 346
poobah said:
Maybe you would be interested in my new line of Fletcher-Munson compensators? One of these in series with speakers will not only decrease the damping factor but reduce those nasty Watts as well.

Seriouosly George, you do raise an interesting point as to how the reviewer misinterpreted his ears...

Exactly, the X250.5 may be too controled at low level, lean bass, thin sound, all depends on the Q of the speaker and room , yet at high level the bass could be powerfull and tight on those same speakers. So the answer is too loosen up the amp for low level and tighten it up for high level listening.

Cheers George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.