Twisted Sibling - THS4131 based preamp/buffer/SE-BAL converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While we're waiting for Russ and Brian to come out with the real thing, I thought I'd take a stab at laying out a Twisted preamp/buffer using the THS.

Two major changes were made to suit the application I have in mind: The on-board PSU from the TS was removed and an on-board Neutrik XLR was added for the input. I've made one version with only leaded components and one with SMD-resistors. Board dimensions are 1.55"x2.075" and 1.55"x1.925" respectively.

Comments are much appreciated :)

/U.

Attachments

• twistedpcbs.png
    twistedpcbs.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 906
Nice small design.
The only disadvantage of the on-board XLR Is that you loose the flexibility of the XLR connection. Marantz, for example is still using for pin 3 as his ‘hot pin’. And you also hardwire the balanced shields to audio ground, whit is not always desirable.

What kind type of Neutrik you are using. This one is very nice, but has a different pin-layout:
http://www.neutrik.com/images/ock/products/downloads/210_296581.pdf

Russ: Thanks, I am looking forward to hearing your comments.

Blimp: Good points, thanks. Personally I have no no problems with the on-board XLR as I have control over the wiring in all links of my signal chain but I can see your point about compromising flexibility. I've made a version of the boards without the onboard XLR to rectify this :) BTW, the XLR I use is a Neutrik NC-3FDH.

/U.

Attachments

• twistedpcbs(pins).png
    twistedpcbs(pins).png
    27 KB · Views: 754
Nisbeth said:
Russ: Thanks, I am looking forward to hearing your comments.

Blimp: Good points, thanks. Personally I have no no problems with the on-board XLR as I have control over the wiring in all links of my signal chain but I can see your point about compromising flexibility. I've made a version of the boards without the onboard XLR to rectify this :) BTW, the XLR I use is a Neutrik NC-3FDH.

/U.

Good looking layout. Simple Clean. & nice !

Back to it... :)

Ok guys.... here is the "production" version of the driver.

This will probably get a thread of its own, because there is a lot to tell, and it has changed a quite a bit since this thread started.

In any case this thread was the genesis of this particular circuit so here it goes...

Now please keep in mind, this is multi-purpose circuit.

This circuit can be used in the following ways:

1) as a stand alone preamp/line driver/SE to BAL converter.
A) In high input impedance mode use input instrumentation op amp.
B) In low input impedance mode omitting the input op amp.
2) As the driver for a fully symmetrical power amp such as TXO or TXS. Notice the feedback provision for the global loop. When not used in this way that loop is closed by the jumper.

I am calling this the TX driver module, because it will be a part of many projects, not just Twisted Sibling.

I also have a power supply which will work well. It is the same power supply as the one for my OPUS DAC.

Here is how the 3D view of this driver PCB looks:

Top side....

Attachments

• driver3top.jpg
    driver3top.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 782
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.