BOSOZ L/R imbalance problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for suggestions of where to start looking to identify the problem.

The right channel is slightly louder than the left channel.

I've switched cables, sources, Amp channels, attenuators, etc. and the imbalance remains consistent with the same channel on my BOSOZ.

When connecting the BOSOZ to my Aleph30 in unbalanced mode, the left and right channels are even, and when connected in balanced mode the right channel is slightly louder.

Another interesting symptom... I started to play a CD with the BOSOZ errantly turned off, and the right channel was playing music albeit very very distorted and nothing from the left channel.

It seems like the left -(neg) phase side might be suspect.

Any ideas what I should check for?

BTW, I'm using KK's BOSOZ boards.

Thank you,

-David

dw8083 said:
I'm looking for suggestions of where to start looking to identify the problem.

The right channel is slightly louder than the left channel.

I've switched cables, sources, Amp channels, attenuators, etc. and the imbalance remains consistent with the same channel on my BOSOZ.

When connecting the BOSOZ to my Aleph30 in unbalanced mode, the left and right channels are even, and when connected in balanced mode the right channel is slightly louder.

Another interesting symptom... I started to play a CD with the BOSOZ errantly turned off, and the right channel was playing music albeit very very distorted and nothing from the left channel.

It seems like the left -(neg) phase side might be suspect.

Any ideas what I should check for?

BTW, I'm using KK's BOSOZ boards.

Thank you,

-David

I had this same problem when powering up my Bos Pre. It sounds like a voltage problem.. Maybe more power on the rails on the other channel ?

Re: Re: BOSOZ L/R imbalance problem

jleaman said:

I had this same problem when powering up my Bos Pre. It sounds like a voltage problem.. Maybe more power on the rails on the other channel ?

Thanks Jason for the tip.

I removed one of the two PSU,'s so only one PSU is driving the BOSOZ. The negative rail is -59.67 and the positive rail is 59.77

Here's a link to the schematic: http://www.kk-pcb.com/bls.html

-David

Re: Re: Re: BOSOZ L/R imbalance problem

dw8083 said:

Thanks Jason for the tip.

I removed one of the two PSU,'s so only one PSU is driving the BOSOZ. The negative rail is -59.67 and the positive rail is 59.77

Here's a link to the schematic: http://www.kk-pcb.com/bls.html

-David

Do both Psu's show same rail voltage ?

choky said:

do you have same voltages at 10UF-750 ohms junctions on both sides (unequal currents through halves) ?

did you matched IRFs ?
at least in channels?

The IRF's are not matched.

Thanks Choky, you might be onto to something.

Voltages at each 10uf-750 ohms junctions:
Left side (neg): 31.165vdc
Left side (pos): 31.127vdc
Right side (neg):31.110
Right side (pos):30.789

-David

Hi,

- Try to make the 124R resistance variable. So you can adjust the gain and match both channels (Min R value=max gain)
- Check the transconductance of your mosfets : Measure the Vgs of each mosfet @ two different currents using current sources (10 & 20 mA for example) Transconductance is given by Delta(I)/Delta(Vgs).The gain of the BLS depends on the 124R, the Drain resistors and the transconductance...

HTH

The values of all the resisters were checked and they are correct. I also changed the Fets, and the imbalance still remains.

I just got a topend B&K DMM that has a capacitance function. All the 10uf caps measure to about 10.5uf.... except one on the left channel -(neg) phase, I get no reading at all.

I'm going to order a new 10uf cap, and I bet I'll be in good shape.

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.