Transformer orientation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, the center leg of the E will have twice as many flux lines as the outside legs and there will be a north south orientation at each end of the center leg. Most of the feild is in the core. However, I might expect radiation to exist along the two sides of the windings not surroundd by core. In other words, perpindicular (as seen from the top) to the core...

Mounting EI transformers

Dear All,

I thought this might be a reaonable topic to put these questions:

I have several oldish but fully functional 300W EI transformers.

1. They have clamps at various spots which are bolted to the EI laminations through the corners. I would like to modify/move them. The whole transformer is covered in some sort of varnish. Is it a safe job (i.e. won't damage the transformer), to remove the bolts and reposition the clamps. Will the whole thing just spring apart???

2. Is there such a thing as a "shorted turn" (as you can get with toroids) which is caused by mounting EI type transformers??

3. Can you use a couple of metal clamps at the TOP of the transformers to safely hold them down to the chassis base?

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
George.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.