Yet another Zen4 completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
don't spit on me for asking such a stupid question, but...

Pertaining to the ZENv4 pic in the gallery vs this amp http://www.passdiy.com/images/gallery/zen-v4-p1-f2.jpg

Why are the caps on this amp so much bigger, and in greater quantity versus the one you just made ? Are they higher quality, have a higher capacitance..etc?

I'm just curious because i will be building one in the next month, and i'm trying to layout some designs.

please be gentle...i'm new

-Maz

Hi Maz,

Why are the caps on this amp so much bigger, and in greater quantity versus the one you just made ? Are they higher quality, have a higher capacitance..etc?

For the same reasons that my interpretation of the Aleph 5 will have 0.2F per channel.

Try this thread for starters:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6517&highlight=capacitance

Use the word 'capacitance' in the search engine above, there will be plenty of reading to do. I've only recently joined this forum and much of the information available has been invaluable in keeping me going on my own project. Be selective in what you learn from any forum though, as there are many subjective points of view.

Also try 'capacitor', 'power supply', and anything similar.

Paul

I think most people here follow the schematics fairly accurately for most things except the power supply. A lot of the people here like to use large amounts of C:s for their power supplies and some feel too much is not enough. The choice is yours...

Sometimes even choosing huge amounts of cap for the power supply is seen not as tweaking but rather a constitutional right it seems ;-)

/UrSv

That one will do nicely IMO. Just buy caps that give you the same capacity or a little more and you'll be fine. It doesn't hurt to plan ahead and allocate some space for more should you want/need it later but other than that I am sure that you will be happy with the quantity in the description.

/UrSv

When I say "a little more" I mean that the designer had good results with the amount stated and most likely so would you. If however you can not find caps that exactly make up the same capacity the adding some more would reduce the ripple whereas reducing the capacity would increase the ripple. Again, of course, the choice is yours.

Staying with the same or "a little more" means that you end up with close to the same performance as the initial circuit. That should be safe with regards to end results.

On the subject of large amounts of capacitance you should read some of threads about this as there are pros and cons of this and not to mention various opinions on wether it is good or bad.

/UrSv

Faber said:
Great Job!
I will do the same thing for my Aleph-X :)

I don't know why I forgot the use of wood in the past, but I think that it's useful especially when you have to put the amp in a room that is not dedicated to listening

Thank you for your Idea!

Bye ! Fabrizio

A quote from the Zen4 article:

"The amplifier is not very susceptible to noise pickup,and you can get good results enclosing it in a wooden chassis."

After I realized the amount of tooling required for aluminum-smithery, there was no choice. And, I am very happy that I did that. Infact I am having trouble with the other large metal surfaces - heat-sinks - I can hear them :bawling: It started with a strange muddling of the highs. Now, the Zen is not supposed to do that! So, I put the Adcom back in - it was still there - must be the room. Do the standard room test - clap, listen; clap, listen - something is definitely wrong. And, what is the change to the room? The new Zen, go near it and clap again - offcourse you can hear the cursed things! Throw a blanket over it - and it is gone. But, the Zen will commit suicide if you leave the blanket over it for more than 30 minutes - will now have to find a proper location for it. Oh, what a relief that the front and back, atleast, are wood. No one else has seen this problem?!

PedroPO said:
Beautifull amp!

I love it:D

One question:
Do you need so much dissipation? what is the temperature of your zen?

Here is a quote from the A75 article:

"and we have made it a rule of thumb not to exceed 55°C on a heatsink. Human skin has the remarkable characteristic that we think 40° is comfortable, 45° is hot, 50° is very hot, and 55° is untouchable. This expanded temperature sensitivity has a lot to do with injury prevention, and is also very convenient for judging whether or not heatsinking is adequate. If you can't touch it, it's too hot."

The heatsinks are uncomfortable to touch, but no so hot that you cannot touch them. So, yes they are required. Also, the bottom of the sink is cooler than the top - intended for airflow, and also if I decide to increase bias in future I can do that by pulling one of the MOSFETs out of the PCB and away from the rest for better heat distribution and dissipation.

Magnetmaz said:
don't spit on me for asking such a stupid question, but...

Pertaining to the ZENv4 pic in the gallery vs this amp http://www.passdiy.com/images/gallery/zen-v4-p1-f2.jpg

I'm just curious because i will be building one in the next month, and i'm trying to layout some designs.

please be gentle...i'm new

-Maz

You are a troubled soul! It is really a personal choice (nobody can tell you what music you should like, or what should be your favorite color). There are advantages (and disadvantages) and as 'the others' have already mentioned do a search and you will have more than enough to chew on. I decided to use the recommended (by the man himself) values initially. 10000uF caps are required for the main PCB, and I ordered a few more for power supply (30000uF per channel). If they are good enough (quality wise) for the main board they should suffice for the power supply, won't you think? One of the main attractions of this effort to me have been the simplicity of the design and use of industrial (non-exotic) components to make a great sound - a good design doesn't need no stinkin' exotica!

Attachments

• others.jpg
    others.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 702
The sound of music

Now that most of the initial setup problems have been resolved (the rest will take a lifetime of tweakings) - oh, what a sound! There are a lot of subtle effects (better resolution, slightly less tight bass - even that, a hum on some live tracks that I never heard before) and they all add up to: more realism. And, that is what it is all about!

The amazing thing is that it is impossible to clip this baby (and I define clipping as 'the woofer pushed out - or in - hard as though faced with DC' ;) on either John Hammond - Wicked Grin - 2:19 or Gladiator - Battle). On a serious note, it does provide very clean sound even when the volume is at 3 O Clock. Infact there is a strange musicality at those levels (when I was actually expecting a higher distortion). Makes me understand the attraction on low power tube amps (High 2nd harmonic distortion?).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.