Aleph-x input-coupling-capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I implemented the BG 10uF capacitors in the two ways shown on the image. The main difference is, if they are before, or after the 10K input resistor. What suprises me is the big difference in sound. When the capacitor is in front of the resistor, voices or instruments are quite small and very precise in focus. When the capacitors are behind the 10k resistor the sound is very laid back and the timing is relaxed. But voices are much bigger and out of focus. I have no real explanation of this phänomenon, as the 68k groundresistor is responsible for the resistance the capacitor faces. Could it be the feedback is different?
This shouldn´t be a discussion about BG´s or the reasons for input caps, just a question about the influence of their position in the circuit.
Oliver

Attachments

• pic00014.jpg
    pic00014.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 415
If you connected the feedback capacitor to the junction of 10k/100k and before the cap in the lower figure, then you just added 10uF to the input capacitance of the input diff pair, I think.

I would connect it as per the upper figure, and I do not think you need the 100k before the cap. The 100k feedback resistor goes to the junction of 10k/68k, as in the original schematic.

Patrick

Everything is fine now, the 10k input resistor has to be in front of the input cap, if you have the speakers in phase, it sounds great.:) :) :)
Just don´t let someone else connect your speakers, it could be irritating.:confused: But back to the question of the position of the inputcapacitors. If they are in front of the inputresistors, it sounds more uptight and dull, if the resistor comes first the sound is more relaxed or laid back. It´s similar to high voltage preamp powersupplys, when you use to large capacitors, the sound gets dull and uptight too.
Oliver :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.