A less used approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I looking for a bit more detail on external PSUs for power amps. It was raised in this thread,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3493&perpage=15&highlight=remote%20AND%20power%20AND%20supply&pagenumber=1

but the thread then drifted off topic. GRollins and Fred Dieckmann both mentioned using extra capacitance in the amp enclosure.

Does this extra capacitance need to be a significant percentage of the overall capacitance? My aim is to use 26000uF caps in a C-C-L-C-C on each rail, where L=2-3mH. Could I simply move the last cap to the seperate enclosure? (I have the caps already, and am looking for a UK outlet for the chokes)

My other option would be to get an amount of smaller caps - 1000uF or thereabouts - and use those in addition to the existing caps.

All help will be gratefully accepted!!! Please!!!

Cheers

Paul

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ideally we keep the transformers and first bank of
caps a few feet away, and then have another bank
of caps locally at the circuit. (This for Monos only...)

This also provides a nice opportunity to insert and R or
L to make a pi filter and take out some ripple.

eLarson,

Thanks for that link, just downloaded and printed. I'll read that asap.

Nelson,

Do I take it that the chokes or resistors are in the transformer box or the amp box?

Everybody,

Thanks for your input.:) :) :)

Cheers

Paul

-------------------
Every step is one step closer to the prize.:cool:

If the goal is to get the power feed to the
amplifier box as clean as possible, I reckon I'd
put the bulk of the caps (with the choke
between the banks to make a pi filter) in the
PS box.

In the amplifier box I suppose I would put a
good sized cap (2200 or so) near the front end
circuitry, then one near each output device for
some "localized power delivery." (Honestly I'm
not sure how much that would really help, I've
never tried it with anything other than a
lineamp. YMMV)

Another thing to keep in mind is how to deliver
the power from the PS box to the amp box.
Allied with that concern is how to ground
everything. Keep the grounds for the lower
current front end circuits separate from those
for the output stage. I'm thinking the main
ground should be back at the PS box and the
others should connect to that one way or
another.

You may end up with an umbilical that looks
almost like an undersea cable by the time
everything is said and done! :eek:

Good luck with it,
Erik

IMHO these are Xover inductors!

So are the inductors from Zalytron as I understand, yet I have seen these recommended regularly on this forum for PSU use. Hence my interest in these parts.

Have checked wire guage since, they don't seem much of a bargain anymore. Are there any more realistic UK sources out there? Net searches don't seem to produce many useable results.

Paul

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
less used

Hi Paul,

You may have already decided how to do it, but for a C-L-C I would put all C after the L in the amp box. That way you have short wires to the load so the caps can source the best they can. The cabling between the amp and supply becomes part of the L, which will make the influence of the cable very small. The spikes and other junk filtered out by the L will actually appear across the L, so you want to keep that out of the amp box. Lastly, the first C will be close to the rectifiers so rectifier noise will be less likely to propagate throughout the system.

Jan Didden

Thanks everybody,:)

Finally ordered the inductors after emailing wuffwaff who has used the same type without problems reported. Chose the Intertechnik luftspullen, 3.3mH. The DCR is high but since I'm using a 30-0-30 trafo I can lose a volt or two anyway.

Jan and NP, food for thought. Positioning of the caps re:spikes was not something I was aware of. Reading back through threads, some people argue for a small capacitance before choke followed by larger capacitance. This suggests that C-L-C-------C-C would offer the 'best' compromise.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.