Threshold Memorabilia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahh, I think there may be something wrong with me.

Why is it that I'm so interested in the career and accomplishments of an audio designer? I would think that most others would be a bit more interested in sports figures or actors.

I find Nelson's story more compelling. My friends think I need professional help :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics:)

Mr. Pass,
Thank you for sharing these important pieces of audio history with us.
I would be interested in knowing who did design on the case work, and how that process works. Did you use outside designers or it was done in house? How much is that process changed today? Did you manufacture cases in house or you used outside company for that? When you design your amps, how much you influence the esthetics of the gear?
I apologize if you find my questions too reveling for the business, I just have a strong interest in visual portion of the audio gear.
Thank you
AR2

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The original Threshold chassis concepts were Rene Besne's
work, usually formally drawn by someone else and machined
by Wagner Machine in Shingle Springs (no longer there).

The first Pass Labs chassis (the Alephs) were done by me,
and we machined them in my shop. Later the X series was
done by Desmond Harrington (previously of Krell, back when
their stuff was really swell), and Harrington continues to design
the stuff today.

Mr Pass,
thank you very much for the answers.
I find audio gear as an modern art form, and particularly "industrial strenght" Treshold and Pass Lab hold a special place. My favorite is "X Generation" with its curved lines which is contrast to the straight powerfull box of Treshold lines. All of them, including minimalistic unusuall Alephs at the time when came out, were trend makers for sure. When I couldn't afford them they were like an icons carefully saved in brochure pictures that I collected for imaginary enjoyment. Today it is display on the top of my shelf. I would conclude that Mr. Desmond Harrington's work for Krell and Pass Lab in audio field represents what Apple did in idustrial design for computer industry.
Best regards
Ar2 - Vladimir Simovich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.