Ground Loop problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can any one suggest me some ideas / techniques for making some ground loops disappear. I have a stereo mon-block that a friend has built. It is a class a Mini a’ Both channels share a single CRC psu with a 300Va transformer. I have tried every thing I could possibly think of. When I connect a audio source via RCA it has a hum a low hum possible a ac ground.

I have connected my ipod to see if it was the source but it was not because I have tried many sources. IF I unplug one channel left/right input the hum goes away and it is dead quiet. I have tested the ac ripple on the dc psu and there is ripple there but my mini as that I have have the same amount of ac ripple on it. I seriously can’t think of any thing to do with this thing any more.. I have access to a scope. Can any one suggest any ideas ? I can post pics if needed.

Things I have tried

Replaced the input rca jacks
Twisted cables for rca and speaker terminal
Put a copper piece of metal around the transformer
Put a thermister on the ac input ground

Here is a pic of the amp inside. I have the rca's mounted directly to the amplifier like how i had mine.. I still get the ground loop problem.

Attachments

• scotty.jpg
    scotty.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 680
Mad_K said:
So what value did you use for R0?. Also, do you use a 10R/5A thermistor from GND (on psu board) to the chassis/Protective Earth? Both of these components are used to supress ground loops.

R0 is = 3.0Ohm @ 3 watt

and i have a thermister on the ac side of the ac plug but not on the gnd i could try one there but i doubt it will do any thing. I have tried removing the ac gnd from the circuit and it does nothing.

What if you tried a 'series' ground. Take your ground from the psu to one amp board, and just ground the other amp board at the first amp board...see below. It worked for me on my mini a. Actually, it's the only thing that worked for me.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 389
mpmarino said:
What if you tried a 'series' ground. Take your ground from the psu to one amp board, and just ground the other amp board at the first amp board...see below. It worked for me on my mini a. Actually, it's the only thing that worked for me.

Where do you want the speakers Ground connected to ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.