Pearl MC Pre-Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I honestly hope this will be the last time I'm closing my P:Pinoc:earl

Attachments

• P1060484b.jpg
    P1060484b.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 597
  • P1060485b.jpg
    P1060485b.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 571
A few things here for the archive.

1. I changed the 2sk170's for (SMD) BF862.
It gives a little bit more gain and clearer sound.

2. I also use the 9V battery option instead of that noisy zenerdiode.
I installed a Reed relais that is fed by the powersupply and that switches the battery off if the Pearl is shut down. This way the battery will last longer, it's only in use when the Pearl is powered. The sound is purer than using the zener.

Attachments

• P1060633.jpg
    P1060633.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 438
  • P1060637.JPG
    P1060637.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 430
I matched them only to have equal gain for both channels, not to have the same gain as the 2sk170 did. It worked fine.

quote Andrew T. :

The BL is a 6 to 12mA device the 862 is 10 to 25mA device.
Look at the BL 12mA example of transconductance. You will see they show 30 to 40mS from 5mA to 10mA Id.
Choosing a very high BL, or a low V grade, will give a similar range of Yfs, if you run them at similar high Id.

Also there are 2 points on the board called Star1 and Star.
These 2 points need to be connected with a piece of wire.
This connects Audio Star Ground with ground plane.
Hello,

Sorry for my late reaction, but I got the complete kit just en few days ago and I'm building it now. What I don't get is why wasn't "Star" connected to "Star1" right away on the PCB? There is room for it?
Or is it an option to connect "Star1" to GND and leave "Star" connected to 0V?

I got the complete kit a few days ago. That kit contains 2 mainboards, 2 MC pre boards and 2 PSU boards. This threat is about the MC pre boards, so that is also what my question is about. Once again, Why wasn't "Star" not connected to "Star1" when there is room on the PCB to do so?
Is it better to connect "Star1" to GND and leave "Star" connected to 0V (so not shorting 0V to GND via this connection)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.