diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Threshold UHP-1200 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/78328-threshold-uhp-1200-a.html)

R-K Rønningstad 24th April 2006 10:34 PM

Threshold UHP-1200

2 Attachment(s)
Attached is a picture I took of the Threshold UHP-1200 at the 1983 CES in Chicago. The novel thing with this machina was that the mains was rectified dirctly. In other words: No mains transformer. I remember our quiet question regarding output power, Mr. Pass thoughtfully replied "Well, it depends on the wall." UHP = Ultra High Power. So in the U.S. of A. 1.2 kW in 8 ohms and 4.8 kW in 2 ohms should be possible.... ;)

Sorry the pictures are not very good. The original negatives are long gone, I think. The pictures are from a long gone Norwegian audio journal.

Rolv-Karsten

R-K Rønningstad 24th April 2006 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the other photo I took of the THreshold UHP-1200. Please note the mains transformer being substituted by four giant electrolytics, each 11.000 uF/200V.
As I remember, these amplifiers had an input line level transformer from Sowter.
My excuses if the old notes from the magazine on this construction should contain some errors.

Rolv-Karsten

steenoe 25th April 2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

So in the U.S. of A. 1.2 kW in 8 ohms and 4.8 kW in 2 ohms should be possible....
Think about 230V here in EU :eek: This is the true Pass Monster:cool:

Steen:)

Zen Mod 25th April 2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by steenoe
Think about 230V here in EU :eek: This is the true Pass Monster:cool:

ya gonna build one?
:devilr:

steenoe 25th April 2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

ya gonna build one?
I dont think so, on the other hand it kind of gets the thinking going;) It gives a whole new meaning to unregulated supplies:D One could really shake the neighbourhood with that one.... :devilr:

R-K Rønningstad 25th April 2006 10:05 AM

If someone does this, please be careful. I think Nelson made this 23 years ago to show what was possible. I do not remember, but I doubt he really planned to put it into production. Amplifiers and equipment in general, without mains transformers is nothing to fool around with! ;-)

RK

steenoe 25th April 2006 10:26 AM

Correct indeed:D
On top of my wishing list is a fully balanced J-fet amp around 2x50 watt's:) I am not gonna start a new build before NP spoils us with a circuit like that. Nothing wrong with preparing the chassis allready though:cool:

Nelson Pass 25th April 2006 09:23 PM

Re: Threshold UHP-1200

Quote:

Originally posted by R-K Rønningstad
Attached is a picture I took of the Threshold UHP-1200 at the 1983 CES in Chicago. The novel thing with this machina was that the mains was rectified dirctly. In other words: No mains transformer. I remember our quiet question regarding output power, Mr. Pass thoughtfully replied "Well, it depends on the wall." UHP = Ultra High Power. So in the U.S. of A. 1.2 kW in 8 ohms and 4.8 kW in 2 ohms should be possible.... ;)
Actually, because the amp was bridged, it would swing about
+/-260V, which is about 4 KW into 8 ohms.

At CES, everyone was afraid to touch the volume control, but at
the end, we drove it full power into Martin Logan Monoliths...
and nothing broke.

BTW, the input transformer was a Jensen.

:cool:

R-K Rønningstad 25th April 2006 09:51 PM

Yes, I remember you had the Monoliths there. But the transformer was a Jensen. Excuse my memory. 23 years....

RKR