Ready to build ZV9 - Need heatsinks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Paul, might I suggest a visit to the nearest equipment salvage house. I live outside Phoenix and we have a couple here. I have collected these 4 sided tunnel deals for years. Every time I see one, I grab it. Sometimes 2 or 3 to disassemble them and reconfigure the peices nicely for my application. HeatSink material is generally hard to get for the sizes and quantity we DIY Class A people want. To buy it new generally requires a big order and min $$$ charges to high for DIYers. I grab heatsinks any time I see them now that I think about it... After a while it's second nature...
Was that NY I saw there? You should be able to find an electronic salvage operation nearby. They dissassemble dead/old/thrown away equipment into sellable peices and get back10 times their investment. I have a tunnel thats 11" long. I admitt, I must have spent $50 for two and put the clean ussable pieces together for this one. But, it handles 400-500 watts with a very quite fan speed, just fine:D :D :D Can't beat it for $50!
The last time I talked with Aavid they wanted $250 min order!
My next project will use 2 all copper heat pipe units for a P4, with a speed controlled fan. Less than $100... I would also like to have a good source for some big extrusion at resonable $ :smash: :smash: :smash:

Heatsinks

Hello, Paul Ebert

Apexjr had some nice 12.5 inch long 4 inch wide fan tunnels too.

They were a good price too at $25.00 a pair or half of what others have paid it sounds like. They are drilled for To-3 mosfets, but I found I can mount the zv9 on the outside and use the predrilled holes, for some of the T0-247 mosfets, but would still need to drill some holes for the board stand offs.

They are anadized black too, so they would not need a mica insulator for the jfet too.

They look much better to me than plain aluminum.

I bought 16 sets since they were such a good price for a friend and I. I believe there were 6 or 8 sets remaining about a month after I bought my stash of heatsinks for future projects.

Steve over at Apex also has a lot of fans you could buy, but I am still not sure what type I like.

For the output capacitors he has an excellent bargain. My electronics store locally wants $20.00 for just one 10,000 uF capacitor, while Steve has them until they run out at only $1.50 each 63v!!!
These are located in the new arrival section.

"SPECIAL PURCHASE.........Snap-In caps
10,000uf 63V $1.50ea 12,000uf 50V $1.29ea 180uf 400V 2 for $1.00"

flg,

What fans have you found that are quiet? I am still looking.

Thanks,

Joined 2002
Paid Member
To answer some of the questions :
I still have 8 or so pairs of the heat sinks in stock and
can get more.
I also have a new heat sink pictured on this site.
don't know how to put the thread on here but it's
listed on the MarketPlace section under the Venders
Bazaar and than Apex Jr Deals.

Now for the bad news: I've Sold Out of the 10,000 Uf 63V
Snap In caps but if you mention this post to me I'll
give you the 12,000 Uf 50V Snap In caps for $1.00 each
Just bought another 800 of them so can pass the
saving on to you guys.

Also listed in the MarketPlace are some nice Gold Plated
Binding posts also pictured there...
Steve @ Apex Jr.

build your own...

Here's the chassis I'm using for my stereo ZV7-T. Hardly breaks a sweat.

John Inlow:)

Attachments

• diyhs-f1.jpg
    diyhs-f1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 272
SunRa said:

well, actually the MF30-2F-151.5 does have a 0.25 thermal resisance for 80C rise...

Yes, but if you look here (about half-way down the page):

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/technical-details.html

they explain that the sinks are less efficient at 20C rise than 80C rise, so they need a correction factor of about 1.4. So, for a 20C rise the thermal resistance is 1.4 x 0.25 = 0.35 or about 60 watts with a 20C rise.

Frankly, I don't know why they bother rating them at 80C rise. That's awful hot!

Too bad, though. They seem like nice sinks.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.