for my first attempt :

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I've been lurking here every spare hour i've had since i found this hobby last week. I feel like i finally have a family...people who are as into the whole "behind the scenes" aspect of audio as well as the pure enjoyment of listening.

*runs crying into everyone's arms*

They made fun of me when i said i NEEDED to buy a fender rhodes, because samples on some synth just couldn't reproduce the dynamics and timbre....
They made fun of me when i bought a Roland TR-808, saying i could get the same beats out of something digital.....but the sounds just arent the same...

what do 'they' know?

So anyways, i'm here...and here's my first question :

What do i build first?

I've read up on the Zen V4, the foreplay preamp, .....assuming all i have is speakers and a cd player, what would you tell me to build...as a beginners project? ( and i read the post about the easy headphone amp already...)

And as a followup...which is the easier amp to build out of the Aleph and the Zen v4. ?

-Maz

The Zen 4 is easier to build and will cost less. Not as many caps, a regulated suppy, and very good directions. You also won't need as big a heatsink. I have been listening to mine for a couple of weeks and it sounds very good. My Aleph 5 is about 3/4 of the way done. When it is finished I will compare. You may want to build both. :)

I would go for the Son of Zen.

Few components and failproof.

my next choice (in a degree of dificulty would be Zen amp.

As for aleph,, if you decide to go for it, there are a couple of guys in the forum that sell the boards, and are very nice.

make a search and you'll find them.

Re: about your speakers

Taco said:
If you have made your amps, make DIY speakers ;). It doesn't matter what you have, in DIY it's about the fun to make your own stuff, not about what you MUST have.
Around here you might get razzed ;) if you *bought* sub-standard stuff, but if you made something yourself you are in! Even if it is crook as a chook, if you done it with ya own hands you's parta da family.

RE; for my first attempt

I too have been lurking here for about a month....I've never built any electronics before finding this site.

But after reading a book on the basics of electronics and building a couple of kits over the past few weeks(Audio Electronic Supply AE-3 Preamp and the S5 Electronics integrated tube amp) I've decided to bite the bullet and decided to build the Zen4. I own an Aleph5 commerical version and wanted to try to build it, but found the Zen's documentation more thorough for a "newbie". (Maybe next time). Being able to get the Qpacks and PCB's from Nelson also was a major contributing factor.

The biggest challenge for me was the chassis and heatsinks and acquiring all the other components. I think I have everything now and am starting to building the chasis.

More to come....probably alot of questions..

Good luck in your decision.

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.