Optimum placement of inductors in CLC filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of building the aleph5 and just read that placing inductors next to each other is not a very good idea because they influence each others magnetic field :confused:.

Since I want to use a CLC filtered PSU on a reasonable footprint how can I do this.

My PSU looks like this:

cccLccc +
cccLccc -

where c=10.000uF and L=3mH

For 2 channels this means I have 4 aircore inductors (not very small anymore). Is there an other way perhaps CRC (ossilation???) or C-NTC-C (like xa-200) which is more space efficient.

Ralph

This is what I mean

Is this frequency wise a problem??

Attachments

• aleph5_versie_33.jpg
    aleph5_versie_33.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 483
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Ralph,

It shouldn’t be a problem. After the first set of caps, your ripple currents will be relatively low anyway. But if you’re still worried about mutual inductance, place the coil axis 90 degrees to the adjacent coil. This will minimize the mutual coupling.

Frequency is not an issue here. You're dealing with noise and 120Hz (100Hz) ripple.

BTW, your 3D rendering looks pretty nice.;)
Rodd Yamashita

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.