double the BIAS in an Aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got the power supply capacity, and the heatsinking...can I safely double the bias in an Aleph 30.

I figure .75 amps are going through each Mosfet now...so I guess with a doubling of BIAS there would be 1.5 amps going through each mosfet...

Would I double the BIAS by halfing the resistance of each source resistor? (total of twelve)

Thanx in advance

audionut said:
I've got the power supply capacity, and the heatsinking...can I safely double the bias in an Aleph 30.

I figure .75 amps are going through each Mosfet now...so I guess with a doubling of BIAS there would be 1.5 amps going through each mosfet...

Would I double the BIAS by halfing the resistance of each source resistor? (total of twelve)

Thanx in advance

Why do you want to do this ?

Why do I want to double the BIAS??

I noticed when driving low impedences of 1 ohm or so, the amp can only swing about 10 volts before clipping, (if memory serves)...At 8 Ohms, the amp can swing 20 volts or so....

If I double the BIAS...the amp will be able to swing more volts before clipping....

In my DIY readings...I am under the impression that the more BIAS the sweeter the amp...

I also notice that if I parrallel the channels, the amp will swing more volts into low impedences.

Hi,

yes halving the source resistors would aprox. double the bias.

1.5A times 25V = 37,5 watt per fet wich is quite high but still ok if your heatsinks are big enough.
Be shure that the mica / kapton isolators are good enough and measure the fet temperature at the case (below 80°C would be nice).

10V at 1 ohm is quite high, probably more like 5V or lower. Even with 4,5A bias and 50% ac-current-gain peak current is "only" 9A
and peak voltage only 9V into one ohm

I´m shure the amp will sound better this way if the rest is up to it.

William

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.