diy heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 939
The pic I included was just an experiment to see if I could upload files - and I see it worked. Has nothing to do with the heatsink article.

Seems to me it ought to be possible to build your own heatsink. I'm probably going to visit my local scrapyard soon. Aluminum brackets and so forth are not hard to come by.

In the amp I plan, the heatsink requirements are as modest as the power output. I only need to dissipate about 40 watts per sink, maximum.

85 degree Centigrade computer grade capacitors, or 105 degree C snap-lock ? I can get Sprague Powerlytics for only a little bit more than the smaller types. :confused:

Here is my preamp (one guess where I got the idea from) :
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• boz mod 4.jpg
    boz mod 4.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 727
That massive black chassis is mine!

Funny, I built that big, dark fellow quite awhile back and now it's pulling its weight on my ZV7-T that I've mentioned in a recent thread. Like I said in the thread, it barely gets warm...

Labor intensive as hell-o but what a blast when it's finished. I spent maybe fifty dollars on that chassis. It helps to have a cousin in the anodizing business.:D

Be sure to follow the little hints, they'll help.

All the best,

John Inlow

The heat sink barely gets warm ? Meaning, it is exchanging heat so efficiently to the surrounding air that it doesn't get hot. As
dense and heavy as these things are, the way they were described, I would think they would work pretty well. Further validation, per your experience, bodes well, I think.

I looked at the posts in a heatsink thread, some interesting ideas were exchanged. One of them, which was like a splayed open book, seemed like a good design.

N.P. provided a photo of one of his - pretty straightforward, U-shaped brackets bolted to a heavy flat piece of metal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.