Threshold NS10 Lineamp PCB - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2008, 01:58 PM   #531
diyAudio Member

Default Resistors for toolereg

Hello again

Thanks Steen for trafo advise.

What is your usual components supply. Mouser and Digikey seem to be short on some resistor values.

Later
Old 18th December 2008, 03:30 PM   #532
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Resistors for toolereg

Quote:
Originally posted by JC Fardo
Hello again

Thanks Steen for trafo advise.

What is your usual components supply. Mouser and Digikey seem to be short on some resistor values.

Later
You are welcome. (Jacco said the same, just a little more cryptic)
I use a small local supplier, that carry Phillips 1% 0,6W E96 resistors. BC components took over Phillips's resistor manufactory plant (and other Phillips components) some years ago. I like the old green Phillips resistors, but the blue BC's are just as good. The supplier also carries the 1% axial foil polyprop's from Phillip's, which seems to have turned from blue to orange with BC at the steering wheel Those are the ones that I used for the Toolereg's 1nF and 10nF caps.
What resistor values are the problem? You can probably just use the nearest value available.

Edit. Come to think of it, Audio Research used something similar to the R-core trafo you linked to. Here is a pic of their LS17 preamp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg audio_research_ls17..jpg (79.8 KB, 1106 views)
Old 18th December 2008, 08:47 PM   #533
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Resistors for toolereg

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe

What resistor values are the problem? You can probably just use the nearest value available.

Edit. Come to think of it, Audio Research used something similar to the R-core trafo you linked to. Here is a pic of their LS17 preamp
Hi Steen. This is a previous BOM I´m trying to estimate for Toolereg so I may just be a little hurry. It´s exactlly those R4/R104 - 8.7K that set the voltage for NS10. Unless the PCB provides holes or tracks for a parallel array, it´s not a big deal

Thanks for your atention and support.

JC
Old 19th December 2008, 01:25 AM   #534
diyAudio Member

I have a few questions... how flexible is that 400 ohm value? 390-420 okay? same with 90 ohm.

Also, I've been hunting through this thread to find diameter, lead spacings, and what not for the shunt and the prereg boards, but haven't found anything nice and compact. It should only be a few parts here and there, does anyone happen to have this info?

Finally, I have a use for these boards that is a low current draw, around 4-10mA. In this case, is there a guideline on how much the CCS should draw, and perhaps a formula on how to compute R6/R106 instead of a table? With a lower CCS value / overall current draw, can I get away with a 0.5W resistor here?

Thanks everyone!
Old 19th December 2008, 05:27 AM   #535
diyAudio Member

You could easily use other values for R1 like the values you mention as well as R11 you can use 100 Ohms there with no detrimental effect. Most values shown on the schematics are a result of best fit on sims.

Lead space for all 1/4W resistors on the original layout is 0.360 and for R6 1W is 0.555 thou the Gerber files might be a bit different.

We showed some guidelines on the Hints for setting the regs, but generally speaking the more current you burn on the shunt transistor the better performance but of course this has limitations on heatsinking and raw supply capacity, this doesnt mean you should go overboard. For low loads you may want to set the CCS at something like 60 or 80mA, but feel free to experiment other settings.

To be on the safe side you need a 1W resistor for R6, if you cant get resistors on that rating I would suggest you parallel (piggyback) a couple of 1/2W resistor of similar value leaving some space between both and the board for better air circulation.

Cheers
Old 19th December 2008, 11:20 AM   #536
diyAudio Member

What is the output voltage range (min and MAX ) for the shunt regulator ?
Old 19th December 2008, 03:11 PM   #537
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Predator864
What is the output voltage range (min and MAX ) for the shunt regulator ?
There is a reissue of the Hints pdf in the GB thread that gives a fair explanation.

So far, with this topology it has been tested from 15 to 30V. In the other hand if you read the last pages of this thread you will find Colin posts suggesting lower voltage mods.
Old 19th December 2008, 06:15 PM   #538
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Resistors for toolereg

Quote:
Originally posted by JC Fardo

Hi Steen. This is a previous BOM I´m trying to estimate for Toolereg so I may just be a little hurry. It´s exactlly those R4/R104 - 8.7K that set the voltage for NS10. Unless the PCB provides holes or tracks for a parallel array, it´s not a big deal

Thanks for your atention and support.

JC
R4/R104 does not need to be excact value. R15/R115 is on the GB boards changed to a trimpot that gives you a fairly large adjustment range. Just pick something pretty close and you will be fine.

Old 19th December 2008, 11:01 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

Got it. Thanks again Steen.
Old 25th December 2008, 04:26 PM   #540
diyAudio Member

For those interested on the NS10 lineamp let me tell you that we already have a quote for PCBs as described on this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...62#post1694962

If your are interested on building this classic preamp just show your interest on this Wiki

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...ulator+PCB+GB+

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!