J-Low / Klein / Horn speculations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking over material concerning horn speakers on the web - perhaps the following quotes sum it up :
--------------------------------
"What strikes you first about horns is their sense of immediacy. The music is just there: no hesitation, no shyness about tumbling out of the box. "

But,

"Designing great [ or even half-decent] horn speakers is as much about passion and courage as it is science (and also ... a touch of madness). Horns will have your music echoing like some soaped-up Bathroom Baritone if they are improperly executed."
------------------------------------------------------------

I like the size and look of the J-Low horn. (But the Jordans are too expensive for me). I like the Klein, but it's a little too big.
I like the Jericho Horn, but I wonder if it could be made larger, in order to get a bigger mouth, more bass.

I wonder if a guy could put a Fostex Fe206 in a J-Low box, twiddle with the chamber volume, damping, and come away with something half decent ?

I'm thinking the bass is not going to go very far below 50 Hz in any case, and if the treble is weak it's not a concern. The size and weight is also no concern. I would automatically stiffen up any cabinet in any case, and try to get rid of sharp angles inside the box in favor of a continuous curved surface.

Beyond reading up on this, lots of experimentation and such, it seems a crap shoot. But my belief is that the virtue of a good amp, high efficiency speaker such as the Fostex, alone, can go a long way in providing credible hi fi sound.

When I saw NP`s article about J-Low for the first time, my reaction was: How can this possibly sound any good...

But ever since, I have had sleepness nights about said speaker !
I HAVE to build it no matter what :smash:

I am intrigued about this over-the-edge aproach, it`s big and simple and to quote NP: "simple and dumb, but very effective"

I plan do crank it up with a zen-type amp with a psu of old car batteries, the whole rig will hopefully play some nice tunes in my garage...:D

JB

Notice the enclosure, being a horn (which I love) boosts the output 10 dB. That can only be a plus. From what I've gleaned, that driver isn't as efficient as a typical Fostex or Lowther - but the extra 10 dB - that's that much less amplifier power it needs for a given volume, that much more dynamic range.

There seems to be a number of small drivers in horn enclosures which impress the - heck - out of listeners. It's hard to tell how much is hype, as with anything, but they do seem to provide much better bass than anyone would believe.

"Simple and dumb but very effective " :D Exactly ! Meaning, there is some latitude there, not necessary critically important, razor-edge precision needed.

A Zen type amp would be perfect for such a speaker, I think. I have seen the punch they have. To my mind, no crossover distortion + efficient speaker = :D

We hope to create a speaker that sounds like Amadeus Mozart, not one that sounds like Cousin It, or Wayne Newton. That might be the case if one tried their own design, that's why I lean towards either the J-Low or Jericho. I've looked at a bunch of them, those two seem the most promising.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
J-low?

I invited another party, with one American girl and two Norges.
Of course with music.

Girl: "Big? Yes, big . . . but cooooooooool."

Norge 1: ". . . . . . . . . . . . From the speakers, I have never heard any acoustic music better than this."". . . open . . . 3D . . . . . . . . . . . . so pure and natural . . ."". . . . . . . mmmm . . . voices . . . . . . . . . . . just spot on""My B&W is well known as having very good mid . . . but . . . it's behind . . . . . . ."

Norge 2: ". . . Only missing is rock music bass . . . If combined with a sub-woofer, all music will be fantastic . . ."

My J-low was with a high pass filter at 95Hz.
The driving amp was F1.
The pre was my very fresh new one.

:clown:

Enjoy!

95 Hz ? Indeed, some kind of bass complement system would be needed.

I just commited myself to expenditures of such magnitude for more parts for my upcoming amp (ZEN Version 4 - PENULTIMATE) as to prohibit any exploration of speakers - for the time being. :worried:

Undoubtedly, the speaker would sound good on many an amp - including the ZV-4. :violin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.