Hooking up Pass amps with theater gear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do you guys hook up you Pass pre- and power amps for Surround setup?

I use an old integrated Pro Logic processor/3-channel amp with my BoSoz, but this is not a good solution in the long run cause I cannot decode DD and DTS with this thing.

Do you use a DVD with built-in processor? Or an external processor? Then how do you adjust center and rear volume on the center and rear poweramps?

One thing to have in mind is the ability to still be able to decode Pro Logic since VHS and TV-broadcast use this coding...A DVD with decoder alone wouldn't give me this..would it?

(Have no plans to use Pass power amps for center and rear, some 3-channel A/B amp combi would be fine here)

I know this question is not very precise, but I could use some inspiration....

Cheers

My friend asked me to build him a 6-channel integrated poweramp. I wasn't quite up to that, but I did build a 6-channel preamp for him, based on BoSoZ. For the level controls I included a master attenuator on the output and an independent attenuator on the input of each channel. The input atenuators can be used to balance the rear and center channels. I also added polarity switches for each channel, although I don't know if that turned out to be a useful feature or not.

Of course I assumed that all the processing, decoding, and so forth takes place upstream of the preamp.

tiroth said:
outboard processor. e.g. Technics SH-AC500A or better.

The problem with outboard processors is that the technology changes rapidly. What is the latest standard: DTS-ES, or DTS-XS or DTS-ZS? What is the latest channel count? 5+1, or 6+1, or 10+1 or is it 20+1? The advantage of using decoders built into DVD player is that the DVD players are cheap (compared to outboard processors) and you you have to replace them anyhow within 2 years (hence free upgrade for decoder as well). A good multichannel preamp is really desirable and the only commercial offering I have found so far is the Sony TA-P9000ES

Reviving the BOSOZ 6-ch vol control

I am building a 6-channel volume control based on the BOSOZ preamp. I have the PCB's and the parts, but I have a few questions regarding power supply and input/output levels. First, regarding power supply, I would like to power three channels with one power supply board and the remaining three channels with a second power supply board. I plan to reduce the rails to +/-50V to keep the power consumption down, but does anyone see a problem with this approach? I have heard the FETS run hot, so I thought I would check.

My second question has to do with level control. I intend to connect the inputs to a Behringer DCX2496, so I thought I would use the input POTS to control the input level and the output POTS as the actual volume control. I would set the input levels based on matching the output of DCX2496 and keep the inputs below about 2V. This is a balanced design incidentally. Any comments on using the output POTS as the actual volume controls? Sounds like the way to go from earlier posts.

Any other advice?

(Have no plans to use Pass power amps for center and rear, some 3-channel A/B amp combi would be fine here)

I'm using Nelson's ZV7-T on the center channel high freq. horn. It has the sweetest sound, and when listening to the musical, Phantom of the Opera, "OH-MY-GOD". The center channel is where the primary vocals are transmitted in 5.1 format--you want them clean and sweet.

I am presently building 6 of these fellows just for the front main speakers--I'm bi-amping. And yes, it will take a while.

John:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.