Pass DIY Information Overload - HELP!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just returned from somehwere . . .
Now, I understand that why my ears were so itchy . . .

Dennis,

You are right. My words were bad and careless. Here, I don't want to excuse my poor English.

I have no doubt that Nelson Pass knows sonic quality. That's the reason why he is so famous with his amp designs. Worldwide famous! Even in Korea. In Korean audio magazines, they describe Nelson Pass as a sound master . . .

I learned lot about electronics and how to use them from Nelson Pass, only from him. It was not a class room lesson, tho . . .

My real meaning was that Nelson Pass never compares his babies to the public . . . I mean the sound of his own amps.

Nonetheless, if Neson Pass is unhappy due to my words,
I deeply apologize to him.

Regards
jh

JH:

Thank you for putting all of this behind us. I'm sure you did not intend to cause controversy.

While we are discussing non-technical items, I would like to reiterate just how valuable and precious these gifts from Nelson Pass are. I am about the same age as NP, and might have a slightly different perspective than some of you. I have been in DIY audio for about 40 years. Pass has been there from the beginning.

When I was attending enginineering university in the early 1970's, the DIY audio community was a very small group, and communication between us was both difficult and slow. The Audio Amateur quarterly came out to join us together in the mid-70's. Ed Dell composed the magazine from home on a typewriter(!), as we had no internet or email (just imagine waiting 3 months to read a response to your "post" in the magazine).

Nelson Pass was one of the earliest contributors to this DIY movement, and his refusal to do things like the others made him an immediate standout, and a most valuable player in the audio engineering pool. His commercial Threshold amplifiers were a radical departure from the early solid state junk of the day...I know...I owned one. Many of his early innovations, such as dynamic bias to improve Class A efficiency, can still be seen in his current thought processes, the Aleph dynamic current source for example.

His gifts to us are generous, but not without limits. Do any of you remember the early 90's when Pass regretfully announced that he would no longer write DIY articles, nor share his past generation of circuitry with us? The reason? Some idiot, high-end design "guru" decided to steal the original Zen circuits and start selling amps based on them, with an aggressive marketing campaign no less. This "guru" in reality was nothing but a copycat huckster whom could not actually design something original himself. Pass was given no credit, nor any royalties for these pirated products...a nice slap in the face for being open and generous to a hobby community.

Luckily for us Pass listened to the pleas of the world DIY community to reconsider, and decided that sharing information was still worth the risk. The Zen series continued. Never forget that this risk of unfair financial loss continually exists--each and every time that Pass gives us a new circuit to build. Yet, he still does it.

John Lennon wrote: "All You Need is Love." Pass' generosity is perhaps a perfect manifestation of that simple statement.

Respect goes all around, gentlemen. We are a special fraternity...

Regards,
Dennis

Diogenio said:
Do any of you remember the early 90's when Pass regretfully announced that he would no longer write DIY articles

Time flies.
Some gods just make it more pleasant.

btw:
High time Mr. Pass gave an update on his Miami Vice Flamingo slippers.
Those should be totally worn by now, i seriously suspect the icon has smelly feet. :clown:

Attachments

• zen1.jpg
    zen1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 205
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Samuel Jayaraj said:
Dennis,

You are probably relatively new to the forum and don't know the relationship that JH and Nelson share on the forum. JH certainly meant quite the contrary to your understanding of his statement regarding Nelson.

I am also pretty sure that Mr. Pass is looking at what we are saying to each other and chukling!!

Who?
Nelson?

yup-pretty ignorant guy.......

:devilr:

who?
JH?
major troll here....
:devilr:

Diogenio said:
... I have decided to build a ZV9, as I am intrigued with the FET transfer curve resembling that of a triode.

Glad to see that you have chosen a direction to build. Good luck!

... Big heat sinks seem to be the most difficult and expensive parts to obtain; I'd appreciate some guidance as to where I can purchase them at reasonable cost (USA).

I noticed that no one has responded to your request for sources of heat sinks. I too have been having difficulty locating good large heat sinks.
I hope someone can help us out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.