ZV7-T (transformer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm fabricating the ZV7-T.

I'm in the process of submitting my pics and ideas for discussion.

Here's a drawing of Nelson's original artwork, but with colored lines to show where the onboard and offboard circuits belong. If I've made a gross error, please inform me. I'm especially curious to know how close the 1K resistors need to be in relationship to their perspective FETs.

All the best to the diyers out there,

John Inlow

Attachments

• zvt-t-color.jpg
    zvt-t-color.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,592
Man, oh man...

I completed one channel. I have the voltages dialed in, all but the dc offset, that is. The power supply is a pair of Nebraska Surplus' 34 volt 14amp specials coupled to a CLCLC filter (the chokes are 10mH @ .1ohms. Caps are surplus 20k uF each). The current supply transformers are Plitron 1000 V/A. They have found a permanent home!

This is an amazing sounding amplifier. I honestly enjoy it more than my AX. I scoped it to the best of my abilities and everything seems normal. The square wave had no outragous characteristics.

The sound is probably colored, but so warm and lush. Nothing harsh or brassy, thin or brittle--just warm and very sweet, like my sweetheart's concert grand piano. Just amazing...

I don't have a digital camera, so I'll have to take snapshots and scan them for you guys.

I can't wait to get the other channel up.

I assume that the dc offset is adjusted with pots P1 and P2 to the gates of Q1 and Q2?

Nelson, can you tell me how to adjust for minimal distortion. I have an HP 332A coming my way soon.

All the best,

John Inlow:D

Nice to see you have ignited the beast :cool: : You are definitely a bold guy :bigeyes:

I’m not qualified to go over the topology but could suggest some tweaking to see if it makes some improvement soudwise. Of course I’m not Nelson to come and suggest changes on the values but never the less I would try it.

You could replace P3 with a voltage divider now that you know you need 7V to the gate of the CCS if you are not planning to change the bias of the circuit. On the long run is better.

C3 is a bypass for Z1, as I understand it, it looks small in value and to work the best it should have a series resistor to load it. All of this with an eye to see if it does not produce thumps at turn on or off.

As Nelson says, the amp has very low input impedance (3K balanced), I remember you mentioned using a balanced line but can’t recall which one. The reason to ask is that you need a very low source impedance to drive this beast with authority. If it sounds bland you may need a lower impedance pre or add, as suggested by NP, an input buffer a la Z4.

different MOSFETs?

:D I'm chuckling because I've blown up at least a dozen MOSFETs just getting to this point in time with this amp.:D

I've reconfigured the PS to an LCLC format that gives me exactly 30 volts out. The amp reads as follows:

transformer center tap 30 volts
R-6 2.48 volts
Q1 gate 9.61 volts
Q1 drain 28.7 volts
Q1 source 5.25 volts
dc offset 1.5 millivolts (pretty cool huh?)

I'm reluctant to push the little fellow harder:hot: Another volt makes the difference between warm and supernova...

Eric Clapton never sounded so good!:cool:

John Inlow

listening impressions

My ears are ringing a bit...;)

I just connected my mono version (stereo compliment to be completed in the next several weeks) to my Aphex single ended input/balanced output processor then the single ended dvd/cd player--cheap little eight-nine dollar unit. I didn't feel like pulling apart my main system until the ZV7-T is fully functional.

Today, the center channel is my test speaker which consist of two eminence twelves, two jbl eights, and one baby butt cheek tweeter. I'd place this at close to 100 db 1 watt 1 meter and rate it as a four ohm load.

This amplifer slams! It also tickles and sparkles:D I'm not biased up as high as Nelson's original (yes, I'm a bit chicken), and my heatsinks are barely warm (of course they have 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" fins!) but it hits the bottom octaves hard, much harder than I would have expected for a four ohm load! The quality is very apparent, you can tell this is upper end class A sound:D It holds it own against my AX, which seems more than a little unfair considering how simple and quickly the ZV7-T materialized--point to point on a copper padded perf board, took several several minutes of soldering interspersed with a couple hours of head scratching--way easier than remodeling a kitchen! Who would have thought...

My hat's off to Nelson... honestly, how would I have discovered such a wonderful sound without him. Thank-you! If there's anything I can do for you, Nelson, just give a yell. Oregon's not far from Nevada.

I'll have pics up soon.

John

where to go from here

Hi everyone,

I enjoy this Zen configuration so much that I'd like to remain here for quite some time. My question is this: how do I improve the output transformer and associated sound quality?

If there is nothing else that can be done with the output transformer, fine. But surely there must be improvements if one knows were to look. This is where I hope you tube guys can help...

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading,

John Inlow:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
first thing-its just splitted choke,not output xformer ( and believe me -you are lucky that you don't need one ;) )

when you touch it -is it hot ?
if not-do not change it from saturation reasons

when you listen to it -are you satisfied with bass?
if yes-do not change it from "not enough inductivity " reasons.

chokes and xformers have some other (different )qualities,comparing to CCS-es (active or passive) ; these "qualities" are somewhat under suspicion from guys who believe in many zeros after decimal point....

if you are satisfied with sound,do not change iron...
try with different currents,parts etc-but leave iron where it is

Thanks for the response.

117033201 is the Plitorn part number for the transformer serving time in my amplifer as a center tapped choke.

It does sound excellent. I just thought that the correct audio choke might sound better. Wouldn't an air-core choke have more resistance?

The bass in this amplifer is truly wonderful. The cello in "Bare Naked Ladies" sounds warm and chilling. It sends tingles up my spine just thinking about it.

I'm discovering that I want to leave the power house tri-amped 2000 watt speaker system I currently have and move towards simpler, passively crossed speakers. This amp has changed how I view sound and its reproduction. Funny how things go... in an odd way, Nelson is the yen and the yang, a curse and a blessing at the same time. I mean this in the sweetest way. I've come to understand more about the beauty of simplicity from Nelson than any other person on this planet. A portion of the "curse" I refer to is being coaxed into realizing that bigger isn't better, less is sometimes more.

John Inlow

Just the man I want to see!

I'll explore air-core inductors. I can have them wound with a center tap.

Is there optimum size in wire gauge and in mH? My wire guy doesn't wind below 14 gauge. 16 is more cost effective...

Please, please. If you have a moment, can you please explain what adjustments you make to the ZV7-T amp when looking at your distortion analyzer? I can't figure out which pot to turn without altering dc offset or bias.

Many thanks,

John Inlow:)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you have an air core transformer, the adjustments are a lot
easier, since a small DC imbalance will not be much of a problem.
With an iron core transformer, a small imbalance gives are very
much larger distortion due to core saturation.

Essentially, you want about the same amount of current flowing
through the two halves, and you also want to watch the total.

What is the sound of one hand scratching a head?

Essentially, you want about the same amount of current flowing

Where does using a distortion analyzer to locate magnetic center fit in? I paid two hundred bucks to find what I thought was magnetic center which would create lower distortion. Finding balanced current--isn't that done indirectly with a voltage reading and ohm's law?

I'm a bit perplexed. The upshot is that the amp sounds excellent. Better than chocolate and peanut-butter. I love the design!

John:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: What is the sound of one hand scratching a head?

carpenter said:

Where does using a distortion analyzer to locate magnetic center fit in? I paid two hundred bucks to find what I thought was magnetic center which would create lower distortion. Finding balanced current--isn't that done indirectly with a voltage reading and ohm's law?

I'm a bit perplexed. The upshot is that the amp sounds excellent. Better than chocolate and peanut-butter. I love the design!

yep ;)
but you must do both - DC and AC measurements of voltage reading...
ant that's somewhat easier with dist. analyzer :clown:

DC and AC?

I've only been working with DC...

Oh My Gosh...:eek:

So. I've never owned a distortion analyzer. I tried to measure the distortion on my signal generator. Quite difficult and tedious. Never did get it nailed. Unless of course, that old clap-trap tone generator is noisier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Thought I'd try it out on something cleaner.

I'm still groping in the dark--but at least the amp sounds good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.