ZV7-T (transformer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made the correction on my latest schematic layout. Cool, it raised the sine-wave upwards on the volt scale--should allow for a bit more input voltage without clipping the lower half of the sine-wave.

It's difficult for me to locate a large dual five volt supply, so I'm toying with a ten volt power supply with the additon of a virtual ground. I hope that someone will be kind enough to explain whether or not my attempt has merit.

Many thanks, guys.

John

Attachments

• jfet zv7-t 4.png
    jfet zv7-t 4.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 172
Zen Mod said:

finding 6V xformers ( even SMPS ) isn't so hard , so it's easy to make +/- 6V PSU;

keep gates on gnd potential , common CCS on - 6 and chokes at +6

To be quite honest, I'm trying to play with the parts in my junk drawer. Money's a little bit tight at the moment. I was hoping that my virtual ground idea would save me a couple of bucks. But, if you think that dual transformers are the way to go, I'll put more effort into finding a pair.

John:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
carpenter said:

To be quite honest, I'm trying to play with the parts in my junk drawer. Money's a little bit tight at the moment. I was hoping that my virtual ground idea would save me a couple of bucks. But, if you think that dual transformers are the way to go, I'll put more effort into finding a pair.

John:)

make a sim or few with these voltages and observe

then decide ;
nobody is smarter than you , for your wallet ;)

Now, this is fun. I simmed Nelson's ZV3 regulated power supply and attached it to my latest creation. Wonder of wonders, it works!

What blows me away about this process is that the voltage swing is rail to rail--at least the sim thinks it is. Now I can put my transformers to work!

Attachments

• zv7-t jfet amp with zv3 regulated ps.png
    zv7-t jfet amp with zv3 regulated ps.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 208
I split the ZV7-T (with cascode) down the middle and added what I think could be called a balanced-in-to-single-ended-out buffer. It also has Nelson's voltage regulator. So, I guess it more resembles a ZV9. Performance looks good on the simulator. The best part? Being single ended, it's easier to build.

My electronic x-over has balanced outputs--hence the desire to employ a balanced to single-ended converter.

Attachments

• zv9 choke loaded with buffer.png
    zv9 choke loaded with buffer.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 175
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
carpenter said:
I split the ZV7-T (with cascode) down the middle and added what I think could be called a balanced-in-to-single-ended-out buffer. It also has Nelson's voltage regulator. So, I guess it more resembles a ZV9. Performance looks good on the simulator. The best part? Being single ended, it's easier to build.

My electronic x-over has balanced outputs--hence the desire to employ a balanced to single-ended converter.

why caps everywhere ?

at least C6 , C11 ,C12 , C13

and- that output load choke must be substantial ...... considering massive Iq ( it isn't split load choke , where yo have flux cancellation )

Zen Mod said:

why caps everywhere ?

at least C6 , C11 ,C12 , C13

and- that output load choke must be substantial ...... considering massive Iq ( it isn't split load choke , where yo have flux cancellation )

Thanks for looking. I'll sim without the caps you mentioned. Again, thanks.

The power in the inductor is 16 watts RMS according to the simulator. The tranny I have on hand is rated at 1000 watts. I figured that the core may be large enough to tolerate the inductance without saturating. I haven't learned how to create a full-blown inductor in my simulator, yet.

Your thoughts are much appreciated, Choky.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.