Aleph DIY x100 and Wilson Audio-low impedance problem. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2006, 05:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph DIY x100 and Wilson Audio-low impedance problem.

hi, can anybody tel me how DIY Aleph x100 will perform with wilson audio watt/puppy 6? impedanse in low frequencies 20-40hz drops to 3ohm . I am planing to build one aleph x100 for the watt and thinking about second to puppy. I tried to hook up with one DIY aleph 5 but its suicide for the amp. no speed no punch,no fast controled bass. so question should I build one aleph x or two?. or instead second use with better DF and probbaly b class to control better Low frequency woofers. kind a krell mark levinson .thanks for answers in advance..
Old 7th March 2006, 07:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

this will depend on how you build / bias your amp.
The only thing I can say is that with my Thiel CS6 the Aleph-X is a lot better (control) than my Aleph5.

William
Old 7th March 2006, 07:42 PM   #3
The one and only

In my experience, the Alephs have never been a good match
for the Watt/Puppies on the bottom end. They don't deliver
sufficient punch and control.

Old 7th March 2006, 07:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mr. Pass. I will not try to hook up DIY aleph 5 again-its fails and I think even clips with loud volumes(with the others speakers it does not clip)
I am thinking of 1x aleph x100 DIY for the watt,
and maybe highly biased aleph x100 diy for pupies. or should I go for pupies something else? working with one amp watt has replacement tube port which(I believe) helps handle watt/puppy with low DF amps.
Old 7th March 2006, 09:47 PM   #5
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Elviukai,

................you should build the Pass A75.......now there is an amp. that will handle the Wilsons with ease.

Regards,
Jam
Old 8th March 2006, 07:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

a75 looks good-lot of devices. but would it be much better than aleph x higly biased? its a lot of easier to build two similar amps not diferent(from expierence) I am not bass freak, I complain not about qty but quality of bass.
Old 9th March 2006, 05:49 PM   #7
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stay tuned

I can let you know in a month or so when my 60 WPC Aleph X is complete. Assuming it actually works.

I have found that the Krell KSA-50 Clone is incredible with the WP 5.1's. Seemingly endless power from a 50wpc amp. If you are looking for bass punch you might want to think about this amp.

Despite what Nelson says, I found that my store-bought Aleph 3 was a good match for the WP's, a little less weight in the bass but still very enjoyable unless you really want to crank up the volume.
Old 9th March 2006, 06:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

ok I will stay tuned. here is my lovely aleph3/5/30/60 generation

and lower atached 50kg of aliuminium , aliuminiu profiles now. after month there will be 4-6 new aleph x for my and friends.
I am not a bass freak but puppy ispretty thin in larger rooms but good definition bass speker. I will try ti build 2 alepx x 100 and if not ok with puppy I will build ksa 50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010106.jpg (64.8 KB, 346 views)
Old 9th March 2006, 06:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mr Green,
how high is the bias going to be on the JEG-4 ?
Old 9th March 2006, 06:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

btw I think aleph 3 is better lower impedanse work horse than aleph 5 for example. aleph 5 results with WA not so well.. maybe 2x aleph x100 will do job..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010005.jpg (37.9 KB, 312 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!