Vertical Bi Amping X250.5's Any Downside?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, Hello Mr. Pass. I'm brand new to this board, so please bear with me...
I will be powering Maggie MG 20's . I am trying to avoid the weight, heat (and expense) of a pair of X600.5. Is there any downside sonically to using a pair of X250.5 amps in a vertical biamp configuration? My pre-amp has 2 sets of outputs. I will avoid an external X-over for now. I figure I will get 1000 watts/4 ohm per channel with this setup, vs 1200 watts/4 ohm with the 600.5's, with a lot less weight and half the idle current draw. Other than another set of speaker cables, any penalties?

No external crossover? If you want to bi-amp, you will certainly want to use an electronic crossover before the power amps, or you will not gain the real benefits of bi-amping, and maybe destroy something. Electronic crossovers are not difficult to build, if you dont want to buy something.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
A year or so ago at a local dealer I heard a pair of 20.1s driven by a single X250 (not the .5), and they sounded just fabulous. The only reservation was that, on one particular piece, it was possible to swing the amp's current meter full scale on very loud bass notes. This was heard as a (very brief) change in the character of the bass from a "thud" to a "thump."

The dealer said that the X350 was really a better match for the speakers in terms of power, but he did not have one in stock at the time. I don't know if you'd get the same benefit from bi-amping a pair of X250.5s, but Pass Labs probably will know. If you don't get a response here, I wouldn't hesitate to call or email them directly.

.............I have to agree with Joe that the x350.5 is a better match for the 20's but guys you have had the chance to hear the X600.5's?

As good as the X350.5 is (and it is a great amplifier) the X600.5's will make the Maggies sing! I rate it as the best amplifier ever made.......period.

Jam

A very good friend of mine has a pair of Maggie 1.6's with a commercial Aleph 5 - 60watts per channel into 8 ohms. The system plays louder than I care to hear!

Have you actually heard the Maggies with the X250 and thought they sounded under powered? I would think an X150 would be enough.

I'd call Pass Labs or send them an email for their recommendation.

Everyone's tastes and preferrences vary, but you are talking about A LOT of power.

Oftentimes a dealers demo room is larger than a home environment, and thus you need more power for the bigger space.

Personally I try one amp and buy a second amp later if you really need more power.

Just my $.02 worth,

-David

The Maggie's really like a lot of clean power. It's not a loudness issue as much as a solidity and top to bottom coherence that seems to develop as power goes up. I also heard X600's on MG 20's, and have to agree it was absolute magic. Unfortunately, the (very few) vertically bi-amped systems with active x-overs I've heard have sounded ballsy but dis-jointed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.