Aleph's hold their own against Hi-end monsters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Went on the weekend to Dublin's hi-fi hi-end show for quite a few hours. Even though not as big as some shows in the US or Britain there was a chance to hear some generally acclaimed top flight systems and even with cd's of my choice!
Ther was the Classe reference system with the huge Omegas powering the new B&W 800 Signatures.
I heard the Clearaudio Master Reference TT and Wadia 27+270 thru the super duper Halcro dm 68 amplifiers.
There were "smaller" systems with Wadia CD and The Gamut 200 amp. Mark Levinson 383 integrated with 390 cd player etc.
As I said before I had the chance to have a good listen correctly seated and with some of my music.
Well nothing blew me over compared to my home system of Aleph 5s Perpetual Technologies DAC and Zingali speakers. I expected some of these super systems costing twenty times more than mine to be clearly superior in many aspects but this was not so at all. They did in fact sound very good but not better in any important way. I didn't hear much more resolution, clearer soundstaging or faster dynamics and scale than at home. They might have been better in some asoects on points but in terms of overall musicality I came to the conclusion that they were a waste of money.
This reenforced my view that a well implemented Aleph amp with suitable partnering source and speakers holds it's own against most super amps out there.

Hi Protos,

it´s my experience that the sound at hifi shows is never very good.
I don´t know the cause but it certainly has something to do with the rooms/setup and you listening in a strange surrounding.

When I listen to something in a strange surrounding and it sounds good I know it´s worth listening to at home. If it sounds bad I don´t really know why it sounds bad (other components, room etc.) so I have to listen to it at home too........

I think shows are only good to look at the components and have a short listen ,serious listening must be done at home.

william

Yes, that's what a lot of people say about shows BUT it also depends on the set -up.
I think the equipment was generally well set up in average sized rooms about the size of a medium sized European living room.
Cabling was usually in the top systems by Nordost Valhalla so no problem there.
The equipment was well warmed up late in the afternoon although I couldn't guarantee if everything was broken in.However usually in these cases equipment has been at other shows sent to reviews etc. I don't think for example the Halcro dealer breaks open a new amp everytime he presents at a show.
All in all even though we should make certain allowances I don't think an obviously well set up system should sound that different in a show than in a dealers showroom or even at home. It might possibly sound better because at home there might be the inconvenience of necessary extra furniture, tables , side reflecting windows etc,etc. In a show also you're not usually stuck up against a back wall and speakers in most showrooms are optimized with respect to back and side walls whereas you might not be able to do this at home especially considering WAF.
SO NO EXCUSES!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.