Zen v4 vs. Zen v9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've read the Zen v.9 article. It appears the v9 is similar to the z4, with the exception of using a jFET cascoded with a MOSFET. The THD vs. output graph of the v9 clearly look superior.

How's the sound of a v9 compared to a v4? I'm quite happy with my v4. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the v9 with a v4 (or any other Zen)? Pass makes a "passing" remark in the article about comparing the v9 with the original Zen.

I am currently building a v4 on a PCB of my own design.
(It may be a while until I order the heatsinks and Trafo though!)

I am confident it will give excellent performance, as all Mr Pass's designs are reported to do! :)

I noticed from the v9 design that it should be straightforward to modify (or upgrade...) an existing v4 to use a Lovoltech in the circuit. Not quite the official v9, but very near I think.

If anyone does this, please share your experiences and recommended changes to the v4 circuit.

Thanks!
Tony.

ZV9 is clearly better than ZV4.
I didnt built an excact copy of the ZV9, but I did built something fairly close;)
Take a look at it here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74203 The amp I made there, might not be perfect in all conditions, but I can tell you that it sounds better than the ZenV4, indeed. It is just wonderfull! Only "but" with mine is that its not as powerfull! I think that would be taken care of with the appropriate railvoltage! I just had two 2x18V donuts in the mail today!! Sooo, I am all, ready to take a shot at the ZV9;)
What a great pleasure to build these amps:) With NP's guidance even I can do it!! I know next to nothing about electronics:D So I guess everyone can do it?? Thanks a lot Nelson:)

Steen:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.