JFet BOZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Afther that I read so many good things about the JFets, I would like to ask:
Is it possible to modificate the original BOZ that I would use 2SK389 in stead of the IRF610?
I know "in principle it is possible to replace a 610 with a 389, BUT the BIAS CONDITIONS are very different. Usually, some adjustment will be necessary".

Any ideas?

Greets:

Tyimo

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tyimo said:
Hi!

Afther that I read so many good things about the JFets, I would like to ask:
Is it possible to modificate the original BOZ that I would use 2SK389 in stead of the IRF610?
I know "in principle it is possible to replace a 610 with a 389, BUT the BIAS CONDITIONS are very different. Usually, some adjustment will be necessary".

Any ideas?

Greets:

Tyimo

too wimpy

The 2sk389 is not a "manly" device, it is a wimp, a weakling compared to the IRF610.

To use the 389 you'd need to reduce both bias and rail voltages to keep the dissipation and voltage in check. There is a thread or two about this if you search. Cascoding is probably a good idea, or you could simply use one of the opamp circuits here or on passdiy without an output stage. The problem with no output stage is that the 389 would not drive low impedance loads well.

Others much more knowledgeable than me may be able to offer better ideas on using the 2sk389 in a BOSOZ type topology.

Hi Bob!

Thanks for the answer! Now I understand what our "taciturn" Choky meant. :)
The 2sk389 is not so important for me, so now I re- compose my question:
Is it possible to modificate the original BOZ that I would use any kind of JFet in stead of the IRF610?

Greets:

Tyimo

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tyimo said:
Thanks!

I thought on 36V supply voltage. (?)

Tyimo

you'll need sort of follower for any wimpy Jfet instead of IRF.....

supply voltage is dictated with preferred loadline and passive or active load for Jfet

if you choose resistor,simple equotation will give you PS voltage

maybe is best solution to try with LU Jfet,when you have it
in that case ,you'll can make J BOZ with preferred virtues of "old" BOZ- simplicity,'nuff current and 'nuff amplification......all that with triode transfer function....

Hi again!

I hoped that I coud build a BOZ with the Lovoltech Jfets, but I am afraid that they will never arrive..... :-(
So, I thougth I could try somethign different: I have some Hitachi 2SK216. I know it is not JFet, but, is it possible to use them in the BOZ instead of the IRF610??

Greets:

Tyimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.