Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Diyeur is offline Diyeur  France
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Irfp150 for aleph two

Hello Mr Pass, and thank for your nice devices , and your works
I have a question, is it possible to put IRFP150 in the
Aleph 2 's output stage (normaly irf244)?
Thank you, and sorry for my bad english ( I'm French ), Mr
Jean Baptiste.
Old 23rd February 2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Irfp150 for aleph two

Quote:
Originally posted by Diyeur
Hello Mr Pass, and thank for your nice devices , and your works
I have a question, is it possible to put IRFP150 in the
Aleph 2 's output stage (normaly irf244)?
Thank you, and sorry for my bad english ( I'm French ), Mr
Jean Baptiste.

I'm not exactly Mr. Pass (only difference is that I have more hair and ,mostly,less mustaches )

yes-you can use IRFP150 ,you can even use one 150 instead two 244-but safest bet is just use head for head
Old 24th February 2006, 12:12 AM   #3
The one and only

Since the Aleph 2 had 6 in parallel on each bank, with the
IRF150 you could easily go to 4. I think that would give
better bandwidth than 6, as the IRF150 is a fatter part with
higher current, dissipation and capacitance.
Old 24th February 2006, 12:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but safest bet is just use head for head
Hello choky, thanks for your answer.
But I'm not a light in english , what's that mean
Quote:
but safest bet is just use head for head

I think that one irfp150 can replace three irf244. An irfp150 can supply 4 Amp at near 45V supply voltage and 180W max power dissipation VS irf 244 can supply 2.5 Amp at near 45V supply voltage and 125W max power dissipation. I think the output power will be up (more current availaible with irfp150).
My worry was to know that irfp150 can support the 45V's power supply for a long time and if it was nessessary to adjust the bias in the Aleph two in relation to the new output stage.
Good night.
Jean Baptiste.
Old 24th February 2006, 12:58 AM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diyeur

Hello choky, thanks for your answer.
But I'm not a light in english , what's that mean

I think that one irfp150 can replace three irf244. An irfp150 can supply 4 Amp at near 45V supply voltage and 180W max power dissipation VS irf 244 can supply 2.5 Amp at near 45V supply voltage and 125W max power dissipation. I think the output power will be up (more current availaible with irfp150).
My worry was to know that irfp150 can support the 45V's power supply for a long time and if it was nessessary to adjust the bias in the Aleph two in relation to the new output stage.
Good night.
Jean Baptiste.

"head by head" -I mean with that -most secure way is to use same amount as 244s......
but-I resume that NP answered clearly to your question(s);

anyway-for these mosfets, try to not burn more than 50 W in each of them,unless you go with heavy water cooling......you know-hot spots on heatsink,etc........

another anyway- always use some sort of DC speaker protection amps are pretty easy for repair,but speaks are not ,especially if you have delicate ones
Old 24th February 2006, 12:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello choky, hello Mr Pass, and I'm very honoured to talk with you.
I'm agree with you Mr Pass, the bandwidth is more larger with ifrp 150 if you put six instead of twelve irf244, I think that come from of less capacities of mosfet in parallel.
Choky, I use a capacity at the output of the amplifier I just use the Aleph two for medium tweeter (pure class A for them) and I use Symmetrical amplifier for Bass speaker (a lot of watts with symmetrical ).
My drivers are Focal 38 WX for Bass, Focal Audiom 6WM for Midrange and Aurum Cantus G2 as tweeter.
Passive filter between mid and tweeter, and active filter between bass and mid/tweeter.
Before, I had builb a zen, very good sound , but the gain wasn't admit with the gain of bas power amplifier, and then it was destroy by too current in the output stage (near 3.5 Amp with irfp150 and irfp 9140 ) ) I draw the layout for the Aleph, and I built it, after, I give you my thinks
about them.

Hide this!Advertise here!