Just fired up my Zen V2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2002, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just fired up my Zen V2

I have just tested and fired up my Zen amp. For those tuned in about a month ago I found out that the problem with my circuit was that I wired in some salvaged transistors for Q3 and got the lead outs wrong. An expensive mistake.
Anyway sofar the results are quite good. I have no noticable hum (apart from the transformer which buzzes a bit). However I am a little disapointed at the thin bass I am getting. Otherwise the sound is lovely and clean and detailed (tube without the mush). I have a few questions though.
1. I am currently driving it with a passive preamp. This isnt really keeping up. Do you think it might be the source of my thin bass.
2. I am running it at a slightly reduced current of 1.6amps, what effect might this be having on the sound.
3. for Q1 I am using an IRF150 which is cooking nicely, however I am using a IRF240 with an on resistance of 0.18 and its running uncomfortably hot. Do you think a substiution with a IRF150 would bring its temp down.
4.When I fired up I tested the votage at the gate to Q1 and it was at 4V. I have R4 set at max. I have made no further adjustment to this. Would adjusting R4 effect the tonal balance any.

Any pointers as to how I might improve the bass response would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.

Shoog
Old 9th November 2002, 04:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have build a Zen and matched it with the Aleph L ,

the bass are deep and loud .

YES for the active preamp!!!
Old 9th November 2002, 04:58 PM   #3
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Just fired up my Zen V2

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoog
1. I am currently driving it with a passive preamp. This isnt really keeping up. Do you think it might be the source of my thin bass.
I bet if you added the front end as per ZenV4 you could keep the passive preamp.
Old 9th November 2002, 05:03 PM   #4
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

Thin bass is most probably due to inefficient speakers that you are using. I've got good bass from Klipsch speakers but absolutely no bass from Maggie speakers. I have the original Zen amp.
Old 9th November 2002, 05:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default This is definately not the case.

I am using very sensitive vintage Isophon drivers which performed more than well enough with my Leak stereo20 Amp. Look elsewhere for a solution
Old 10th November 2002, 02:11 PM   #6
Account Disabled

Shoog

If the bias is 1.6A, R15 of 1k or 1.2k instead of 1.5k might give you a tighter base.

JH
Old 11th November 2002, 06:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default I will try that.

I believe the best approach is to build a Bride of Zen and see what difference that makes. I will hold this sujestion in reserve.
Thank
Old 12th November 2002, 09:26 AM   #8
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I think this thread raises an important question: what voltage and current (power?) is necessary to drive the Zen amp to get its full potential? Of course the speakers will have a big effect on this, but as the gain of pre amplifiers can be adjusted, it would be nice to have some primary figures to point at. I am currently building a ZV4 and I noted in the channel built that I need to increase a bit the gain of my tube pre. But what is the optimum figure?

Hide this!Advertise here!