Aleph Phase Inverting / non inverting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Surely this is governed by the number of gain stages in the amp, each one providing a nominal 180 Deg. shift or 'reversal'.

If so, Aleph 30 with 2 stages is non-inverting, but some of the earlier Alephs (IIRC, but I cannot access the schematics now to check) had 3 stages, in which case they would be inverting.

The amp, taken as a whole, is non-inverting.
The output stage is inverting. The front end, being a differential, can be hooked up to be either inverting or non-inverting. In this case Nelson chose the inverting hookup.
The signal comes in, inverts going through the front end. Now it's "upside-down." Then it goes through the output stage and gets flipped once more, making it "rightside-up."

Grey

Grey's the man who will know!

Hi Grey,

Is my above recollection right that one (some?) of the earliest Alephs had 3 amplifying stages, and were accordingly inverting?

I had only downloaded the A30 details, and, of course, Nelson has needed to remove the other circuits from prying eyes.

Regards,

Re: Grey's the man who will know!

Bobken said:
Hi Grey,

Is my above recollection right that one (some?) of the earliest Alephs had 3 amplifying stages, and were accordingly inverting?
Regards,

Bob,

His 1st gen Alephs like the 0 and 1, although having three gain stages is also non-inverting as the 3rd stage is a bunch of paralleled followers and does not invert the output of the 2nd stage. The input is a diff pair with output taken from the drain inverts then the 2nd is a voltage gain stage will revert back to the same phase as the input signal.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks a lot for this clarification. I was right about the 3 stages then, but my memory let me down on the topology details.

Tries hard, could do better, only 5/10!

Nelson spoilt us all, maybe for too long, and I guess I took it for granted that these details would always be available on his site.

It was a really sad day when I saw that Nelson was forced to remove his schematics, but I fully understand why he did this.

I just wish I had downloaded them all ages ago, when they were available.:bawling:

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.