Heatsinking the Lovoltech JFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had looked at those, but downchecked them for some reason that I can't remember at the moment. Perhaps because the LU1014D is so small--much thinner than a TO-220, hence poor spring tension.
And what's to keep the clip's screw from loosening? I would reccommend the use of a little Loc-Tite on the screws if they keep backing out.
If the clips work, I'd be glad to use them. Just wish I could remember why I struck them off the list.

Grey

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
chipco3434 said:
I used an aluminum bar to clamp irf240's on my A30. Worked great... for about 8 hours of playing time. The 6-32 screws clamping the FET loosened under thermal cycling. Results were catastophic.

I think this product is a solution in that it has more "spring action".

http://www.aavidthermalloy.com/cgi-bin/mxclipsrch.pl?Package=ALL&Attach=SCREW&search1=search

My 2 cents, but this is better science than my DIY solution.

spring washer and blob of good glue or paint around screw head is now ancient solution:clown:

This is an Oetiker clamp:

attachment.php

They're used to attach hoses to pipes. They handle temperature cycles with less damage to the hose than a Jubilee clip / band clamp.

This is an Oetiker clamp compressed (this is easiest with a special tool made for the job):

attachment.php

This is a compressed Oetiker clamp cut in half with 3mm holes drilled:

attachment.php

You can probably see where I'm going with this....

Attachments

• oetiker1.jpg
    oetiker1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 224
  • oetiker2.jpg
    oetiker2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 240
  • oetiker3.jpg
    oetiker3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.