Multichannel BOSOZ system integration - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2006, 04:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Multichannel BOSOZ system integration

I'm about to embark on a multi-channel BOSOZ preamp project. I'm heavily inclined towards Erno Borbely's balanced single-ended kit. Ultimate goal is to have a nice multi-channel system for DVD-Audio, SACD, etc., but that still does same quality for 2-channel.

The DVD player I use already includes Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, and features 5.1 analog outputs (single-ended).

I still need to work out some of the details on how many switched inputs I need, how to control volume, etc. So far, so good.

However, there are some analog sources that are encoded with Dolby surround, such as VCR and some TV broadcasts. For these Dolby Prologic II seems to be the preferred route, which presents a bit of a conundrum. Ideally, I'd like to have a stand-alone decoder which I can feed into the BOSOZ pre. Decoder IC's that perform this are sold only to Dolby licensees. What is commonly done to address this? What is the "best" way?

I can envision a couple of approaches, each with their own pros and cons:
- Rotel pre/pro -- criticized at length in the solid state forum; other makes usually include an FM tuner
- PC-based solution -- this gets expensive with a quality sound card with analog inputs.
- AV receiver -- I already own a nice FM tuner and amplifiers
- Meridian 561 or 568 w/ DPLII upgrade ($$, but possibly most elegant solution)

Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

Finally, I'm under the impression that although the original Dolby Prologic was an analog matrix decoder, the current method with DPLII is 2-ch analog in - ADC - signal processing - DAC into 5.1 channels. Is this correct?

Thanks and regards,

Rob
Old 16th February 2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello,

you could buy an AV receiver that has 5.1 (or more) analogue outputs and not have to use the amps that are inside it. Although the 5.1 outputs might of allready gone through the recievers internal pre amp and volume control circuits, which isnt so good.

You could of course take it appart and find where the 5.1 comes out of the surround processing chip and send that to your own pre amp.

You should try some searches in the digital forum because people have tried this kind of thing before.

Good luck
Mark
Old 16th February 2006, 07:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What about using a DVD player with the surround decoding built in, and hook it up to your DIY preamps. Look at the Jolida 700. It has balanced out for all channels.

-David
Old 16th February 2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I thought that was what he was doing except he wanted to have some dolby prologic2 encoding from an analogue source as well. As far as I know a dvd player wont do this.
Old 16th February 2006, 08:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I thought that was what he was doing except he wanted to have some dolby prologic2 encoding from an analogue source as well. As far as I know a dvd player wont do this.
Kram is correct.

I'll be using the DVD for decoding, which will output 6 channels to the BOSOZ. However, this leaves a gap for another other source type. Today, that's Dolby encoded TV, radio, and VCR materials. Tomorrow, it's Dolby Digital encoded materials from satellite or cable sources.

The other option I'm mulling over is an Audio Refinement Pre2DSP.

Hide this!Advertise here!