Aleph 30 schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I had built some, using PCBs I bought. I understand that PCBs always offer me easier fabrication. For complicated circuits, I have to use PCBs.

Nevertheless, for example, the guys who have their web sites and sell kits should use their market places on their web sites. Why, here . . . ? Why here in Passlab forum . . . ?
More and more, I waste time reading too many "nice, I received" "send me email" "I paid, received?" "bla bla bla" . . .
Grey's JFET GB were pushed away . . . Why others still stay here and paint scribbles ugly . . . ? What they are doing else . . . ?

Oh . . . I am late . . . I may miss my plane . . . . . . .
See you . . .

I find the website choky mentioned in post #20 offensive.
Setting aside the profit aspect of things, the Aleph-X is presented as a "Pass Labs Clone" (see the silk screen on the circuit board), which it most assuredly is not. He does not credit Nelson (me either, for that matter, but I was just playing with Nelson's ideas).
Aleph-M? Harrumph!

Grey

I agree too. For example my pcb fab charges 90USD for a 155 sqinch protoboard. So his boards are 8,5 x 5 inch. Now i can fit 3 of those to a 155sqinch board (3,7 to be exact) at a price of 30 USD each. And this is for protoboards. Lets say that i order 100 of these boards, 50USD in setup fees and around 10USD per board after that. So 50+1000/100=10,50 USD per board + shipping. And he charges 48EUR /pc so for a stereo set 89EUR ~ 100USD. So take that 100USD - 21USD - shipping (~15-20USD) = 60USD profit. Kinda crappy aint it?

/Kari

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GRollins said:
I find the website choky mentioned in post #20 offensive.
Setting aside the profit aspect of things, the Aleph-X is presented as a "Pass Labs Clone" (see the silk screen on the circuit board), which it most assuredly is not. He does not credit Nelson (me either, for that matter, but I was just playing with Nelson's ideas).
Aleph-M? Harrumph!

Grey

gundj
gundj

:rolleyes:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
choky said:

. . . with all cash intended for Diyaudio donation.........

I think that we can clearly understand. Good. BTW, who else are doing GB activities for diyAudio donation . . . ? Fully cofused . . .

I strongly believe that all GB activities are to be done at the GB corner. Whether donation for diyAudio or personal profit, could be decided there and controlled by diyAudio there.

Maybe . . . these days sales of the some guys are going dull so that the guys visit Pass Labs forum and intentionally advertise . . . :rolleyes: . . . :Ohno: . . .

Regards
jh

Offering PCBs with or without a profit is still aimed at the DIY zone.
What strikes me as offensive is commercially offering complete amplifier building sets, and using images of the real thing on the web to market them. A fairly new shop overhere is doing just that, even receives free advertising here on DIYaudio.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

Nope, I did mean this inspiring page:
http://www.passdiy.com
The very best of all DIY pages:)

Steen:)

ah,you and your Engrish :clown:

I agree for both places , but I must say that both places are possible tnx to good will of Papa Nelson;

anyway,entire Diyaudio looks special 'couse we have few pros sharing what and when they can,ou contrarie to usual praxis in this funny world

aleph 30

Maybe I am catching the audio flu or something and not connecting, is the schematic that NP is refererencing the October 2005 j-fet buffer to the zen amp on his web site?
I have been following NP articles in audio express and is this the next one? I am contemplating building the J-fet variation after my speaker project is completed. My Aleph 1.2's still keep me warm in the winter with the A-75 as back up.

Has any built Grey's version of the X-amp? dave

Group Buys...

There have been a number of group buys lately on Pass Aleph designs. However, the profit motive on board manufacturing through this DIY site is a VERY questionable conclusion.

I think that if you did the math --- dollar and cents --- you would find that some of the larger projects might be paying an organizer two bucks an hour. You have to add it all up. Proto costs + board mfg. + component proto purchases + actual component purchases + WAF action whilst you turn the dining room in to a loading dock + paypal charges + USPS mailing + customs forms + travel hither and yonder to the Post + answering most questions ranging from idiotic to doctorate thesis. Check the dictionary under "group buy" and you'll see an illustration of a thorn in a butt 'cause it's a pain in the a$$.

It's not a thankless job, but it's a labor of love. So thanks to those profiteers... I'm not so sure they're getting rich. Are some of them paying for a portion of their own audio junky habit? I hope so.

As for the knock off kit guys in the Far East... they're a bunch of jags and what we can do is NOT support them by avoiding their Pass offerings and ANYTHING else they sell. Not a kit, not an RCA connector, nuthin'.

And thanks to Nelson for his support of DIY... it's a fun hobby.

chipco3434 said:
Group Buys...

There have been a number of group buys lately on Pass Aleph designs. However, the profit motive on board manufacturing through this DIY site is a VERY questionable conclusion.

I think that if you did the math --- dollar and cents --- you would find that some of the larger projects might be paying an organizer two bucks an hour. You have to add it all up. Proto costs + board mfg. + component proto purchases + actual component purchases + WAF action whilst you turn the dining room in to a loading dock + paypal charges + USPS mailing + customs forms + travel hither and yonder to the Post + answering most questions ranging from idiotic to doctorate thesis. Check the dictionary under "group buy" and you'll see an illustration of a thorn in a butt 'cause it's a pain in the a$$.

It's not a thankless job, but it's a labor of love. So thanks to those profiteers... I'm not so sure they're getting rich. Are some of them paying for a portion of their own audio junky habit? I hope so.

As for the knock off kit guys in the Far East... they're a bunch of jags and what we can do is NOT support them by avoiding their Pass offerings and ANYTHING else they sell. Not a kit, not an RCA connector, nuthin'.

And thanks to Nelson for his support of DIY... it's a fun hobby.

2$ hour.. I wish. :) i didnt make any money Infact i lost some BUT i call that now past and i learned alot :)

I will be doing another one tho.. It will be the smd mini A's And also the through hole Mini A's also aleph 30's..

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I appreciate the volunteers of GB very much in general . . .
I do not know whether the guys lose or earn . . .
I do not care of the kit guys outside diyAudio and where they are . . .

Maybe, I am misunderstanding the definition of Pass Labs forum . . .

I have expected a higher quality of technical interests . . . But, I have seen too often the disappointing quality of Pass-project-copy-on-PCB activities . . . Gee . . .

Regards
jh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.