Son of Zen and math

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Son of Zen and math

When I saw the design of Son of Zen of Mr. Pass a smile came across my face. Power amplifiers are suppose te be complicated. This might be an opportunity for me to try some math on an amplifier so I can better understand.

Here is the result.

A small paper with no difficult math, all functions are linear.
Like Kirchhoff's voltage law, DC load line and AC load line.

I know the attention has been shifted towards Aleph X and its
derivatives, and even there may already be a paper on this subject on the forum. But the amp still stands and its math gave me a better understanding of how an amplifier is build up.

The paperwork was done with OpenOffice.org Writer/Math and TinyCAD.

And of course a big thanks goes to Mr. Pass and his team.

Attachments

• sozmath1.zip
    95.2 KB · Views: 364
I meant 10VAC that will give ~13VDC on each rail.
Just looking "brtjans" math where he uses 12VDC on each rail.

In article Pass mention using from 15VDC to 57VDC.
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_soz.pdf

With higher voltage it becomes a monster oven!

But see your point Zen! :)

13v dc is nowhere near any useful endeavor. Buy another transformer, and the heatsinking needed if you want to go there.

The more I play around with these pass inspired amps.. the more I realize it's as much about voltage as it is current. Conveniently, some of us got spoiled on the IRFP mosfets and their ability to make sound over almost any circumstance. But is that a GOOD sound? Not always. Give it some volts.. and some current. The ability to find that relationship says a lot about your desire to make it worth the effort.

Last edited:
Back in 2002 just for the fun of it I did build a SON Of ZEN using a pair of 12v batteries.
At the time I only needed a flea powered amp and my speakers benefited from a low damping factor. It was OK but dealing with the batteries was a pain in the *** and I
will not try that again ! After about 2 weeks I stopped using it.

Thanks a lot for responces! :)
My goal is to maybe build SOZ into a "normal" size enclosure.
If not possible, wont do it :)

Transformer is not bought yet.

What about changing 8ohm resistors to, let`s say, 4ohm?
Still thinking 13VDC rail.
Possible?
Will increase voltage and Ids over FET in my opinion..?

Ok! With a ton of distortion.... :)

Understand high voltage and high Ids is the way to go, but don`t have big enough heatsinks.

"No free lunch"....

Reading article that this amp cancel almost all noise from PSU.. Thats positive! :)
Also like the simplisity.
So simple that even my silly, clumsy fingers can build it! :)

Kinda curious.. what exactly is your design goal here? I understand wanting to alter something to make it unique to a specific application.. but, please.. the application? General usage? Your speakers? Room? I empathize; the reality is I need no more than 10 watts.. max, given all things. That's a power more or less equal (or smaller) than most any amp discussed in the history here..

But there's a place to build exact, and another to just build specific to what you'll do with it. The former typically offers a lot of long term value though.. so long as you're working within some decent parameters. Example.. I've always wanted to build one of Juma's amps. I trust that cat. They're lower power.. low-ish voltage.. economical. But they're all P-P, and I've never felt this desire to do a P-P, so why alter it to my personal need or desire? It exists.. on its own merit, or nothing. It's not accidental that those or any other proudly published amps are what they are, as specifically described.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.