1.5 megahits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wish very much that you translate those hits into sales.

I would love not only to see Pass, Inc prospering, I would like to see a number of high end manufacturers prospering.

I was disappointed to hear on the news tonight that the record industry sales are declining.

As to Passlabs and Passdiy, I would say that these are prime examples of "enlightened management"

Or should I say "One and Only" management?

Congratulations on hitting the mark of 1.5 million hits

Warm regards

Ken

Nelson Pass said:
I see where www.passlabs.com and www.passdiy.com
enjoyed 1,576,000 hits last month.

Who says high end is dead?

:)

Guess I better go and see what all the fuss is about. :)

Congrats Nelson, and good on you for taking the selfless and non-conceited direction that is indeed your trademark.

Eric.

BTW - Any idea of how many Pass Amp clones out there ?.

I was disappointed to hear on the news tonight that the record industry sales are declining.

Ken, in my opinion the music industry is getting what it deserves. For too long now it seems that the popular music labels have taken people with basically zero talent and manufactured them into "stars"... ok, who said Kelly Osbourne? While it may be a fine marketing tactic to teenagers, treating the adult public like tasteless morons was always going to catch up with the industry. I'm not saying that there are no talented musicians out there selling a lot of records (oops, I mean CDs), but there ARE a lot who people who are "marketed" into that position. What a shame so many people with awesome talent are cast aside simply because they don't fit the appropriate "mould".

Today even the average teenager is becoming more savy; why would they want to go out and buy a CD when they recognise it as basically c@#p that will be totally unfashionable within the next 2 weeks.

Just my 2 cents worth ... maybe I'm just getting "old" ... It's the kids of today tell you, THE KIDS OF TODAY!! :geezer:

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I always wondered who buys the X Series X1000? Who needs that much power for speakers? Also, how do people handle the 2400W maximum power consumption? (well.. I guess if you can afford the amp, you can afford the power bill) What is the maximum power consumption for the XA200?

I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into each Pass Labs amplifier, and if you afford the amplifier and can't build it, then go for it. I don't blame him for the high prices either, it is a niche market.

--
Brian

I think high end is more in reach than ever. Many high end companies still make super expensive top of the line equipment but they also take some of that technology and put it in more affordable products. And many times these can get you 75% of the sound for 50% less money. That is the trend. I do not know if an XA 30 is in the works. But, power a side it may sound close to a top of line XA200 when mated to the right speaker. Then there are companies like rotel or music fidelity and others that have learned how to use some high end technology in critical areas and can give some expensive equipment that is not all that a run for the money.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Our information indicates that high end (by that I mean high
end two channel) is alive and well, but the retail distribution
channel in the US is in poor shape, having abandoned
two channel for home theater and then discovering that
home theater is more of a commodity business with lower
margins, and having to compete with Bose at the local Price
Club / Sam's Club.

There are still some good 2 channel dealers out there, though,
and maybe more will appear in the absence of the big stores.

Meanwhile the DIY movement appears stronger than ever.

:)

Peter Daniel said:

And since I can build myself most of his commercial offerings, I don't even blame him for those outrageous prices (42,000 EURO for XA-200);)

What's truly outrageous is what is left over for profits - usually that is not nearly what one would hope or expect considering the level of investment and talent involved -

I am completely sincere in my wish for the high end manufacturers as a group to prosper and for the music industry to prosper - If they don't prosper, enthusiasts die out and so do music sources - in the long run we can only do as well as they do

But I really, really do hope that Nelson Pass prospers better than most - he is truly the "One and Only"

Sincerely

Ken

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
er, I usually log on to Pass diy about 900,000 times a month
so it may not be as many people as you think :D

Actually more like once a month. Latest SOZ in the Gallery section with water cooling and switched mode power supply is real cool, man

Speaking of marketing and great gear at a more reasonable price, it is really unfortunate the Volksamps didn't work out.

I'm sure people were constantly encouraging Nelson to try this approach, now he did, but I wonder why it didn't flourish?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When Volksamp launched, people just yawned. The
product was not really new, the marketing was non-
existent, and everyone who used to complain about the
original chassis and no faceplate decided we were right the
first time.

That's OK, I made money anyway, just not as much as I like.

;)

Updated versions of the Alephs will be out next year, and
we'll give it another run.

stokessd said:
If anybody should prosper in the High-end community, Nelson Pass gets my vote.
Sheldon
I agree with the above, stokessd.

I am glad to have found your homepage on the web again.
Sheldon's Audio Designs
There was a timeperiod I couldn't find your schematics.

You have a banner to Nelson Pass Labs .
Now I think our Nelson should place a link to your site
among his collection.
I think it is only fair. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.