1.5 megahits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now for a big letdown...

Variac said:
er, I usually log on to Pass diy about 900,000 times a month
so it may not be as many people as you think :D
You know the episode where Homer Simpson tries his hand at telecommuting, and sets up this little bird thing that dips it's head repeatedly onto the Enter key? In reality it was just continually reloading the Passlabs page. :)

GP.

agreed.

im a salesperson for a mid-fi (sometimes kinda hifi) audio store and ill tell you what, im getting SICK AND TIRED of ppl wanting to hear bose, thinking its the greatest, OR worse yet, thinking they can have a "good sounding" stereo system for under $200. i cant even think of any speakers for under $200 a pair that sound reasonable.

people just arent educated enough lately. they will gladly spend $2K on a tv, but when it comes to buying $500 each speakers, they think im CRAZY. if they only knew :)

Nelson Pass said:
Our information indicates that high end (by that I mean high
end two channel) is alive and well, but the retail distribution
channel in the US is in poor shape, having abandoned
two channel for home theater and then discovering that
home theater is more of a commodity business with lower
margins, and having to compete with Bose at the local Price
Club / Sam's Club.

There are still some good 2 channel dealers out there, though,
and maybe more will appear in the absence of the big stores.

Meanwhile the DIY movement appears stronger than ever.

:)

Re: Educating The Great Unwashed.....

yeah, its a hard thing. we have some little boston acoustics speakers that are fairly small (bout twice size of bose double cube thing), and are $78 each. i play those against the lifestyle 10 (2 cube arrays, and a "sub" for $600). the bostons absolutely blow it away.

however, one of two things happens... 1.) "awesome, lets get the bostons!" 2.) "hum, well, we came in for bose, now we are confused. we thought bose were the best, now we arent sure. we need more time to think."

EITHER way, i just lost money. if i had just said, "sure, bose is, er, uh, um, "good", i would have made a LOT more. either way, they will go home, put on the "video game" DSP on their POS receiver, and it wont matter :)

so, i sell whatever the customer wants. if they arent sure, ill NEVER show them bose. but if they want it, well, ill gladly sell it to them. for the person who doesnt want to see (nor hear) the speakers, bose is PERFECT.

however, there is no reason anyone should subject themselves to the torturous sounds of the bose 201 and 301 "bookshelf" speakers. they are ungodly awful. if there are any masochists out there, go by your local store and give em a listen. its amazing how bad they are. i refuse to sell those... they are big, ugly, sound horrible, and for the price, you can get something thats smaller, 10x the performance.

the problem is that NO ONE out there will make cube speakers to comete with bose! so when the wife wants speakers you cant see, there is one option. (except for the home theatre in a box things, which are getting better... sony ES now has one, as well as a pretty slick denon). thats my rant :)

mrfeedback said:
Cowan,
Just tell them "No highs, no lows, that's Bose". :D

Eric.

stokessd

Hey! Look who's here! You've been quiet lately (at least on the 'net), though I did find your new homepage shorty after it materialized... while searching for large format camera stuff! ;)

Folks, this gentleman put together one of the very first DIY DAC designs (his tubed DAC was a big hit too! Dare I say he was the first to try non-opamp based I-V conversion?), and established one of the very first DIY audio sites on the net (remember SDS Labs?). I don't know about others, but he certainly gave me a huge boost when I was still getting started in DIY audio.

Welcome to the forum Sheldon, I know you'll enjoy it!

Re: stokessd

hifiZen said:
Hey! Look who's here! You've been quiet lately (at least on the 'net), though I did find your new homepage shorty after it materialized... while searching for large format camera stuff! ;)

Yes, I've been working on rebuilding one of the bathrooms in my house and building DIY ESL's. I poke my head into rec.audio.tubes every once in a while, but it's just not as interesting as it used to be.

Folks, this gentleman put together one of the very first DIY DAC designs (his tubed DAC was a big hit too! Dare I say he was the first to try non-opamp based I-V conversion?), and established one of the very first DIY audio sites on the net (remember SDS Labs?). I don't know about others, but he certainly gave me a huge boost when I was still getting started in DIY audio.

Welcome to the forum Sheldon, I know you'll enjoy it!

Thanks for the kind words. I still get requests for DAC circuit boards, and I'm still using my DAC prototype. Somehow Iv'e designed a really musical sounding unit that is standing the test of time well. I'm gettting ready to design an updated one with chips that are currently available.

My little website gets about 50,000 hits a year... not bad for a country boy...

Sheldon

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Wow... I just checked my stats and I got 63,441 hits in the last year... here is my stats:
http://brian.prohosting.com/stats/

That really suprises me, since I don't really keep anything good on my website... I guess I will have to add more content and see if I can get more hits.

Suprisingly, I have gotten 22 hits from the Netherlands this month:
16:13:59 08 Nov 2002 22 16,009,392 nl = Netherlands

strange

--
Brian

I worked for a high end auto custom shop once. You have to move away from brand and price and listen to what your customer wants. Some spend on a brand just to have it and that is ok. However usually if someone says they want audio gear they want audio gear. Have a plan ready for these customers but pay attention to what they want. Don't get down on them for wanting a brand. If you honestly feel you have a better alternative on the shelf, sell your customer on it. If you do it right, you will get the sale, the customer will get better gear, and you will have a customer for life. I know it is hard at first but man it works. I would be shocked to hear a sales pro disagree.

Nelson thank you for years I have lovingly spent in this hobby and congrats on your hits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.