inductors on the AC line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quote:
"Large inductors in series with the transformer primaries and secondaries
can be used to stretch the duration of the charge pulse to the power
supply capacitors, improving regulation and reducing noise."

Has anyone tryed to do it? How much inductance is really needed for a zen v4 or a bzls?

I just completed an Aleph 30...the transformers are large 28v x 16a signal transformers. The rails from these transformers after a capacitor filter would be far too high for an Aleph 30. (recquiring 25volt rails)My solution was to put air cored 14ga. 2.5mh inductors after the rectifiers and before the capacitors...

this is called a choke input filter. The inductors "buck down" the voltage from the rectifiers, and convert the access voltage into current. The rails, loaded by the Aleph 30 circuit come in at 26 volts.

This implementation is supposed to be easier on the rectifiers, and I note that the rectifiers and the transformers run very cool. The inductors however get very warm.

I notice that the ripple, under load is at 30 mv per rail...this is much better than the ripple on my aleph 3's which use a CLC filter.
My Aleph 30 (using Brian Bell's wonderful boards and parts list) draws 360 watts out of the wall. This is high for an Aleph 30 and is the cost of using higher voltage transformers and bucking the voltage down. (transformers were $5 apc.)

Amazingly, on start up, the voltage on the rails takes 3 or 4 seconds to build up. I don't think the voltages come up perfectly evenly, resulting in 2 or 3 seconds of 10 volts of DC heading out to the speakers. I fixed this with a muting circuit.

I like the idea of a choke input filter...it seems to provide quieter rails for the circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.