Aleph ?? with Linkwitz Orion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m just about to finish a pair of Linkwitz Orion loudspeakers. Orion is a quad amplified (6-8 channels in total), 3-way open baffle design with a SEAS Excel W22 for the midrange and a SEAS T25CF002 millennium tweeter for the top end.

Now, I’m very interested in building a PASS DIY design to drive the midrange and top of the Orion. My “problem” is that I don’t know which design to choose and since I’m rather new in the DIY business I don’t really know what to look for. The “simple” design of Aleph 3 seems is very appealing, but I’ve heard very good reviews of the Aleph 5 as well. I suspect that the effect is a minor issue and 30 W should be more than enough.

Another aspect is that is the size of the amplifier. I plan to build four channels in total, two blocks of each two channels; therefore, a compact design would be an advantage.

I would really appreciate some opinions on which design to choose!

/trango

I know this is the wrong thread to mention this in :D, but Linkwitz suggests LM3886 based chipamps as being a fine compliment to the Orions. They definitely fit the bill of compact, and if you look around in the chipamp section, there are a ton of upgraded designs. Linkwitz even put out a very simple LM3886 schematic on his web page that has had some positive feedback from builders.

If you are new and want something really quick and simple with nice sound, you might want to at least look into the chipamps as an option.

David

Yes I have thought about a chip amp.

I'm currently driving the Orions with a DIY UcD180/UcD400 amp and I'm not sure a chip amp would be an upgrade... Another reason for building a Pass design is that I find the philosophy behind the Aleph series very beautiful.

Hi trango! Have you readed amp's requirements for Orions in Linkwitz's site? They need 8 channels of power amplification of 40 W/channel minimum. Low distortion, low output impedance, solid-state amplifiers are preferred. "In general, all power amplifier stages must have identical VOLTAGE GAIN, since the woofer and tweeter level adjustment range of the crossover is limited to +/-2.5 dB relative to the midrange."

Hope it would help you!

Hi Stefano,

And thanks for your reply!

My plan is to continue to drive the woofers with the UcD180 amplifier and try some other amplifier for the mid and high. To be honest I haven´t thought about the voltage gain and ofcourse you have a point. Shouldn't it be possible to adjust the voltage gain for the woofers with some resistors?

My Plan

Dear Trango,

My plan is to use LM3886 chip amps for starters - a la Carlos FM, because I have a LOT of building to do.

Then try an Aleph3 or Aleph 30 for the mid and tweeter, or perhaps an Aleph Mini for the tweeter.

It would be easiest to change gain on the Chip Amp rather than on the Aleph, because at least I know how to do that.

I guess, but am not sure that the means of changing the gain of the Alephs is described on this board, but there may be a limit soon to be reached if increasing gain ... but others will know for sure.

Regards,
George.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.