What BIAS current is suitable for me? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2006, 08:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What BIAS current is suitable for me?

I am planning to make a aleph-x, i ahve got the spreadsheet which calculates the coltage, the heat dissipation... etc etc. But what current do i need for the BIAS? i am using ProAc 1 SC, and also, how much power otuput do i need to drive rmy speakers?

Angus
Old 30th January 2006, 09:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

as well as the supply voltage and the fets voltage as well..

Angus
Old 30th January 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

well you have to start somewhere. Normally you should know how much power you want for your speakers. How much do you have now? Is it enough? When not you should at least double it to have an effect.

If you know the power and the impedance of your speakers you can set the right combination of voltage and bias. After that you can set the amount of fets and heatsinking. Voltage to be set is that at the fets, the other voltage depends on your power supply (C or C-R-C or C-L-C etc.)

William
Old 30th January 2006, 10:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wuffwaff
Hi,

well you have to start somewhere. Normally you should know how much power you want for your speakers. How much do you have now? Is it enough? When not you should at least double it to have an effect.

If you know the power and the impedance of your speakers you can set the right combination of voltage and bias. After that you can set the amount of fets and heatsinking. Voltage to be set is that at the fets, the other voltage depends on your power supply (C or C-R-C or C-L-C etc.)

William

I think 70-80 W will be enough, i think i know my speaker impedance. SO what BIAS current and Voltage i should use? Thank you.

Angus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proac1.jpg (31.0 KB, 348 views)
Old 30th January 2006, 02:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

looks not too difficult as a load.

You could try 17V at the fets and 6A of total bias.

At 50% ac-current-gain this would give 56 watts 8 Ohms and 90 at 5 Ohms (being also the max. power output)

You would need 8 fets per channel for 26 watts dissipation per fet and 208 watts / channel.

Transformer voltage depends on the used configuration. Try Duncans PSU designer (there´s a link in the spreadsheat).

Heatsink should be lower than 0,15 °K/W per channel

William
Old 30th January 2006, 04:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wuffwaff
Hi,

looks not too difficult as a load.

You could try 17V at the fets and 6A of total bias.

At 50% ac-current-gain this would give 56 watts 8 Ohms and 90 at 5 Ohms (being also the max. power output)

You would need 8 fets per channel for 26 watts dissipation per fet and 208 watts / channel.

Transformer voltage depends on the used configuration. Try Duncans PSU designer (there´s a link in the spreadsheat).

Heatsink should be lower than 0,15 °K/W per channel

William
I am going to use active cooling.

How about if i wantto have about 80W output?

What BIAS current i need to have if my rail voltage is 21.7volt.
Old 30th January 2006, 05:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Plug your numbers into the AXE-1.2 Spreadsheet here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...824#post552824
Old 30th January 2006, 07:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I meant to add:

and bump up the bias and rail voltage until your power requirements are met. Then you can vary the thermal resistance of the sinks to get the mounting temperature expect. watch the junction temperatures - add more devices if they go over 100.
Old 30th January 2006, 08:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobEllis
I meant to add:

and bump up the bias and rail voltage until your power requirements are met. Then you can vary the thermal resistance of the sinks to get the mounting temperature expect. watch the junction temperatures - add more devices if they go over 100.

but the shape of the graph will change with the BIAS current. What kind of shape i am aiming for?

Angus
Old 30th January 2006, 08:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

One that meets your power goals at your speaker's impedance - roughly 5 ohms minimum, so tending towards higher current will satisfy that. Wuffwaf gave you one operating point that will meet your goal of >80W across the board.

With 21.7 Volts AT THE FETS you'll get around 90W with 6A bias. at your impedance minimum, and you'll still be above 80W to 9.5 ohms. To the left of the peak you are current limited - to raise power increase the bias. to the right of the peak you are voltage limited, increase rail voltage to increase power.

If you can keep your heatsinks under 50C with active cooling you can use 12 FETs. That's >500W to get rid of, plus the active cooling system's waste heat.

Hide this!Advertise here!